Darkness Falls

We... we changed each other's lives,

I'd always thought that we

Would be together 'til the end...

I, I didn't know...

Know just how the story...

Just how the story goes...

("Story," Nishi Rajan)

Chapter 29: Darkness Falls

As Snow and Charming's wedding anniversary approached, the midwife insisted that Snow needed to enter her confinement. I raised an eyebrow and asked Granny: "What the hell is that?"

Granny chuckled. "I guess they don't do that in your world. Your old world, I mean."

 "No, not that I'm aware of. So what is it?"

 "It's a period before a woman, especially a high-born one like Snow, excuses herself from society and keeps to her rooms to await the birth of her baby," Granny explained.

I frowned. "So she's locked up? That sound horrible. I'm glad we didn't do that."

"Well, you will now you are staying here," Red pointed out. "When you have a child of your own, some midwife will force you into bed to stay there in a dark room until you give birth."

"Dark room?"

 Granny nodded. "The midwives believe it is better to keep the mother in darkness."

 "Well, that'll happen over my dead body." I put down the apple I was peeling for my pie and crossed my arms. "You'll see."

 Grandmother and granddaughter shared knowing looks and smiles. They didn't say anything, though. Instead, we returned back to our baking and moved onto other topics to discuss.

That night, I sat up in bed as Robin changed for the night. I set aside my book as I recalled my conversation with Granny. "Robin? Can you promise me something?"

 "Of course, love. What is it?"

I took a deep breath. "When I have our daughter, I need you to promise you won't let the midwife confine me. Please?"

 Robin lay down next to me, kissing my hand. "I doubt anyone would ever be able to force you to do something you didn't want to do."

"Robin, please."

 "I promise, Regina." He kissed me. "No confinement for you."

I scooted closer to him. "Thank you, Robin."

 "Do I want to know what brought this on?" He moved away, smiling. "Are you...?"

 "No, I don't think so." I frowned before shrugging. "I was just talking with Granny and Red about Snow's confinement and it sounds absolutely awful."

Robin sighed, pulling me close to him. "I'm sure you'll keep Snow company during this period. Keep her mind off how awful confinement is."

"Are you teasing me?"

"Wouldn't dream of it, milady." He rubbed my arm, growing pensive. "But Regina, are you certain you're not...?"

 I shrugged. "I'm not showing any signs. Besides, it's only been a few months."

"That's all it took for me to get Roland on Marian."

"Well, someone's proud of himself."

He chuckled. "I guess I am. But I'm just saying you could be with child."