The Calm Before the Storm

Fading in, fading out

On the edge of paradise

Every inch of your skin is a holy grail

I've got to find

Only you can set my heart on fire, on fire

("Love Me Like You Do," Ellie Goulding)

Chapter 28: The Calm Before the Storm

Taking a break from my research and the library, I returned to my rooms. Robin was there, sitting at the table as he read a letter. I could tell from his frown that it was from his father.

I placed my hands on his shoulders, feeling the tension there. He was going to need another massage. But first, I wanted to know what was in the letter. "Bad news?"

"I guess you could call it that." He pulled my arm down to place a kiss on the underside of my wrist. "He writes of increased attacks on villages in Huntingdon lands. Ronald apparently has his hands full trying to keep order amongst the villagers."

"Do I want to know what that entails?" From what I could tell, Ronald was his father's puppet. He'd do anything his father said. I feared Lord Robert was taking advantage of the situation to abuse his tenants.

"No." Judging by Robin's tone, he did as well.

I sighed. "Is there anything else?"

"Oh, yes. You'll love this."

"Uh oh."

"After explaining how dire the situation in Huntingdon is, he still thinks it's a good idea to send Roland there for a proper education."

I sat down next to him, resting my hand on his arm. "He's stubborn, but so are we."

Robin patted my hand before folding the letter up. "Enough with that. How goes your research?"

"Not well," I sighed. "I'm worried the Dark One might be right. That there really is no way of stopping the curse."

"So what about possible Plan Bs?"

"Stuck on those too. Best idea I've heard so far was Roland's request for me to use my magic on a piece of fruit and take us to New York." I sighed.

He laughed. "Do I want to know?"

 "A story I was telling him for bedtime before the Midsummer," I explained.

"But really, I don't know what else to do."

Robin pulled me onto his lap, letting me rest my head on his shoulder. "We'll figure out something. I have faith in you."

I hesitated before continuing. "Well, I found something. But it'll be tricky."

 "The best plans usually are."

"I can cast a spell to freeze the Queen in her place, but I would need to be unseen and to make sure she's alone. Even if they can't see me, they'll get suspicious when she stops moving."

He frowned. "I'm not sure I like you that close to the Queen."

"It's the only way I'll be able to get her necklace. I doubt I'll be able to use my magic to summon it. She has to have safeguards on it."

"And taking away her magic may be the only way to stop the curse," Robin mused.

I shrugged. "It's what I'm hoping."