Epilogue: Maine 1983

Billow and breeze, islands and seas
Mountains of rain and sun
All that was good, all that was fair
All that was me is gone

("The Skye Boat Song," Outlander)

Epilogue: Maine, 1983

Cold. It was the first sensation that came back as I returned to consciousness. The coldness was creeping up from whatever I was lying on, though I guessed it was dirt. I could feel it between my fingers and could feel leaves getting tangled in my hair.

I lifted an arm and placed my hand on my stomach. The linen shirt I had been wearing was gone, replaced by a cotton one instead. It wasn't meant for the type of weather I had landed in, providing little to no warmth against the chill in the air.

But it was what I didn't feel that saddened me. The flutter of my daughter was gone, though I knew she survived and was still safe in my womb. It was mother's intuition and it was all I had now that my magic was gone.

I opened my eyes and took in my surroundings. Trees, already decked in their autumnal finery, stretched out over my head. Reds, oranges and golds stood out against the gray sky. I bit back a sob as I recalled the plans Robin and I had made to ride through Locksley's woods to admire the changing of the leaves.

There was no time to dwell on everything I had lost. I had to figure out where I was—back in Sherwood? Somewhere else?—and get myself to civilization before nightfall. Especially as I was back in the clothing I had worn to the Midsummer festival—a yellow t-shirt with one sleeve that hung off my shoulder, jeans and sneakers. My white sweater lay next to me in the leaves that had fallen already. I shrugged it on, but I knew it would do little once the sun went down.

As I took in the woods, I spotted a leather satchel lying nearby. My spirits soared as I realized it had come with me. I retrieved it, opening it to make sure all my belongings were still inside and breathing a sigh of relief when I saw everything had made it through the curse. I held it close, praying Robin and Roland were safe as well and together wherever the curse had sent them.

I stood, wavering a bit. Once I steadied, I started walking. Leaves crunched under my sneakers and my leather satchel bounced against my back. I knew I would face a lot of questions once I returned and whoever I decided to tell my story to would know doubt think I was insane. There was a chance I would start to wonder the same, but I had too much to remind me that it wasn't a delusion or a dream. The Enchanted Forest had been real. Snow, Charming, Red, Granny and the others had been real. So had Robin and the love we had.

Pressing my hand over my womb again, I continued walking. I had to get the both of us to safety and seek medical attention, to get confirmation beyond my own intuition that my little Rachel was fine.

After what seemed to be an eternity, the forest started to clear. I walked faster, eager to see where it would lead and passed the lines of trees to find a road, made of tar with a painted yellow line. The road was well-maintained, so I knew it was still in use. It was just a question of where it led. I had only one choice—to walk it and see where I ended up.

The sky was darkening and I feared it would rain—or snow—on me any minute. I kept walking, hoping to come across a town or a rest stop or a highway patrol control car soon. Just any sign of human life at all would be nice right now. And while I had built endurance during my stay in the Enchanted Forest, I was going to need to rest soon.

That's when I heard it, the unmistakable rumbling of a car. I stopped and turned, waiting for it to appear. As a van crested over the hill, I stuck out my thumb. Hitchhiking was dangerous, I knew, but it seemed to be my only choice. I prayed the driver wasn't a serial killer as I thanked myself for making sure to grab my knife before I was ripped from the Enchanted Forest.