Fight or Flight

Warning: There may be some scenes in this chapter may be disturbing to some readers. Discretion is advised.

Let this be our prayer

When we lose our way

Lead us to the place

Guide us with your grace

To a place where we'll be safe

("The Prayer," Quest for Camelot)

Chapter 30: Flight or Fight

When I came to, I was lying on my bed. Tuck sat at my side, sponging me with a cool cloth. He let out a sigh of relief when I opened my eyes. "Regina, how are you?"

"I think I'm going to throw up." I swallowed against the bile rising in my throat.

Tuck stuck the basin under me and waited as I emptied out the little supper I had managed to eat earlier. He gave me the rag as I leaned back, wiping my face, and he emptied the basin. "Well, that was to be expected," he said.

"I guess. Did I really pass out?"

"Yes, you did." He took his seat again. "Do you remember why?"

"I could say I don't but what's the point?" I sighed, pulling my knees close to my chest. "Robin's been captured."

"That's the assumption," Tuck said. "But he could be making his way back here now, just slowly due to an injury."

"I don't know if that's much of a comfort."

He chuckled. "I know. But Robin is tough and has seen his share of injuries. He can tend to his wounds and still manage to get home. Trust me. Or rather, trust him."

"I do trust him. It's just..." I bit my bottom lip. "I had one of my feelings all day. So I feel something bad has happened to him."

Tuck squeezed my hand. "You have to have hope. We have no way of finding Robin right now."

"That's not true." I hopped out of bed, over Tuck's protests, and sat down at my vanity. "I can find him with my magic."

"Lady Regina..."

I glanced at him over my shoulder. "If you're uncomfortable with this, you can leave. But I promise you it is safe."

"I believe it is safe. I just worry about how much energy it will take. You haven't been eating enough, you've just recovered from a swoon and you have a baby to think about. I don't want you to push yourself."

"I appreciate your concern. But I am going to do this."

Tuck dragged over his chair and sat down next to me. "Then we'll do it together."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Last time I had done this, I had focused on a place. I hoped that it would still work if I focused on a specific person. Robin's face floated before me, clear as if he were standing in front of me: his soft yet thick blond hair, beautiful blue eyes, warm and inviting smile, and the stubble I loved to feel on my skin. Part of me wanted to reach out and see if I could touch him, yet I knew I couldn't.

"Regina, something is happening," Tuck said.

Opening my eyes, I saw my mirror was showing what appeared to be a dark dungeon. A man was chained to the wall, heavy iron shackles around his wrists. He was bare chested and wore no shoes. Fresh wounds marred his chest, the red welts seemingly the only color in the place. White lines rested next to them, familiar remnants from another torture session. A loose black bag covered his head but if I had any doubts the man was Robin, they were quashed when he shifted and I caught the flash of a lion against black shield on his arm.