Zelena

I feel wonderful because I see

The love light in your eyes.
And the wonder of it all

Is that you just don't realize how much I love you.

(“Wonderful Tonight,” Eric Clapton)

Chapter 8: Zelena 

            Life became a whirlwind as everyone prepared for the royal nuptials. I thought three weeks was very quick to throw together a wedding but Granny told me it was very common in this world. “I once managed to get a wedding together in a week. Of course, there were extenuating circumstances.” 

            Red motioned with her hands, showing a growing stomach. I laughed before glancing at my room. “What am I going to wear? I don’t have anything fancy enough for a wedding.” 

            “Don’t worry. Everyone is getting new clothing for the event.” Granny patted my shoulder. “In fact, you have a meeting with the dressmaker so he can get your measurements. You and Red best be heading down there.” 

            Red and I joined the line of people waiting to be measured. I wondered how one tailor was going to handle all of this. We walked into the next room and I nearly laughed when I saw the Blue Fairy flitting around with her fellow fairies. “Magic. We’re getting magic dresses. Of course.” 

            “Well, the fairies are assisting to make certain all the dresses are ready in time,” Red said. “I can’t wait to see what they chose for me.” 

            “I have a feeling it’ll be red. You have a theme.” 

            She laughed. “I guess I do. What color do you think your dress will be?” 

            I shrugged. “Whatever the fairies decide, I guess.” 

            Blue flitted before me. “Hold still, Regina. This won’t take long.” 

            She flew around me, leaving a trail of dust behind her. It tingled and I resisted the urge to laugh. When she finished, she flew back up so she was level with my face. “I’ve gotten your measurements. Your dress will be ready in about a week. Have a great day.” 

            Red and I parted ways outside the room. I headed for the gardens, wanting to go for another walk and to get some fresh air. Now that we were living in the palace, it was easy to remain indoors all day. Soon I would have to find the target area, not wanting to let my skills get rusty. The Queen wasn’t defeated yet. We still had to be vigilant. 

            I turned a corner and saw Snow White coming down the path from the opposite direction. She smiled when she saw me, picking up her pace. I stopped and waited for her to reach me. 

            “Regina!” Snow sounded a little out of breath.  “I’m glad to see you. There’s something I wanted to talk to you about.” 

            “Oh? What?” 

            Snow looked nervous. “It’s something I feel uncomfortable asking the other women about but I guess because we’re closer in age…” 

            “Snow, you’re rambling. What is it?” 

            She glanced around. “Can we go somewhere more…private?” 

            I nodded. We found a bench nearby and sat down. I took her hands. “What do you want to know?” 

            “It’s about the…wedding night.” She whispered that last part.