The Magic Tree

Things will come out right now.

We can make it so.

Someone is on your side

No one is alone.

("No One is Alone," Into the Woods)

Chapter 25: The Magic Tree

            I sat with Snow as Robin and Charming had their heads bowed low over something. "Are you okay?" I asked her.

            "I don't know. I haven't even told Charming that it was a girl." Snow's hazel eyes flickered toward her husband.

            "So, it wasn't just mother's intuition? You really knew?" I leaned forward, intrigued.

            Snow nodded, taking my hand. "Back before you came, Charming and I went to visit his mother, Ruth. She gave me a necklace that would predict if we would have a child and the sex. At the time, I didn't think I could have children but the necklace told me I was going to have a little girl."

            We both glanced down at her baby bump. I asked with a look if I might touch and she gave a slight nod. I pressed my hand against her stomach, knowing the baby wouldn't kick yet. However, I could feel her...or rather her power. "She's strong," I said.

            "She is?" Snow smiled. "You can feel her?"

            I nodded. "So, Emma? Why?"

            "I heard it once—I think I have a great-great-great-grandmother or the like with the name. Ever since I was a little girl, I vowed to name my daughter Emma." Snow smiled at me. "You have to have some names picked out."

"I know that if I have a son, I'm naming him Henry after my father. That's really all I ever thought about when it came to children." Then I said to myself: "If I ever have children."

Snow grabbed my hand, pulling me into the bedroom. "What's going on?" I asked.

            "Wait right there. I still have Ruth's necklace," Snow explained. "You can use it."

            I was taken aback. "What? Why?"

            She tilted her head. "So you know if you're going to have children. Don't you want to know?"

            I stared at the necklace, amazed it could tell me something as important to my future as if I was going to have a child one day. Tears pricked my eyes as I looked at Snow. "Do you think it'll work for me? That it's not tied to Charming's family or anything?"