36: Skeeter Again [Pt.2]

With so much to worry about and so much to do — startling amounts of homework that frequently kept the fifth years working until past midnight, secret S.S. meetings, and regular classes with Snape — January seemed to be passing alarmingly fast.

 Before I knew it, February had arrived, bringing with it wetter and warmer weather and the prospect of the second Hogsmeade visit of the year. 

 On the morning of the fourteenth I dressed particularly carefully. Zoe and I arrived at breakfast just in time for the arrival of the post owls. Hedwig was not there — not that I had expected her — but Hermione was tugging a letter from the beak of an unfamiliar brown owl as we made way to her. 

"And about time! If it hadn't come today . . ." she said eagerly, tearing open the envelope and pulling out a small piece of parchment.Her eyes sped from left to right as she read through the message and a grimly pleased expression spread across her face.

 "Listen, Emma," she said, looking up at me. "This is really important. . . . Do you think you could meet me in the Three Broomsticks around midday?"

I groaned "Hermione, I have a date. A heads-up would have been nice."

"Well, bring Malfoy along if you must," said Hermione urgently. "But will you come?"

 "Well . . . all right, but why?" 

"I haven't got time to tell you now, I've got to answer this quickly  and tell Harry—"

And she hurried out of the Great Hall, the letter clutched in one hand and a piece of uneaten toast in the other.

"What's up?" asked Ryan suspiciously as I smiled a fake smile at them "your never in such a good mood, you usually insult us in the morning."

Ignoring him, I turned to Draco. 

"Dray?" I asked smiling at him. 

His eyes narrowed "skip to the bad new princess"

I sighed. 

"OK, so Hermione wants me and Harry to meet her at the Three Broomsticks. So, our date will be cut short. . .but I'll make it up to you I promise!"

His eyebrows raised "and how do you planned to make it up to me?" asked Draco. 

"Um. . .what do you suggest?"

"I suggest you ditch that mud--sorry, sorry. Ditch Granger and go on a date with me."

I scowled at him, I didn't want to play this card but he leaves me no choice. 

"It's either this" I said "or spending the rest of the day with Hermione and Harry."

Draco paused in taking a swig of pumpkin juice, he knew he had lost. 

"As soon as you come back you spend the rest of the day with me," he said "and night for that matter. And your going to ride a broomstick again"

I groaned "oh, alright."

We joined the queue of people being signed out by Filch, chuckling at funny S.S. meetings or class jokes. That's the best part of being with Draco, I can talk about anything and not feel embarrassed. I was relieved when we reached the fresh air, I was starting to feel claustrophobic. It was a fresh, breezy sort of day and as we passed the Quidditch stadium, I glimpsed Ron and Ginny skimming over the stands . . . . 

"So . . . where d'you want to go?" Draco asked as we entered Hogsmeade. The High Street was full of students ambling up and down, peering into the shop windows and messing about together on the pavements.