63: Potions

After we had eaten, we remained in our places, awaiting Professor Snape's descent from the staff table. The distribution of class schedules was more complicated than usual this year,for Professor Snape needed first to confirm that everybody had achieved the necessary O.W.L. grades to continue with their chosen N.E.W.T.s. 

Zoe was immediately cleared to continue with Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Herbology, and Ancient Runes, and shot off to a first-period Ancient Runes class without further ado.

Professor Sname turned next to Pansy Prankinson, whose first question was whether Firenze, the handsome centaur, was still teaching Divination. 

"He and Professor Trelawney are dividing classes between them this year," said Professor Snape, a hint of disapproval in his voice; it was common knowledge that he despised the subject of Divination. "The sixth year is being taken by Professor Trelawney."

Pansy set off for Divination five minutes later looking slightlycrestfallen.

 "So, Ms Potter, Ms Potter . . ." said Professor Snape, consultinghis notes as he turned to me. "Charms, Defense Against theDark Arts, Herbology, Transfiguration, Potions, Athrimancy . . . all fine. I must say, I waspleased with your Potion mark,Ms Potter, very pleased."

"Look," said Ryan delightedly, gazing at his schedule, "we've gota free period now . . . and a free period after break . . . and afterlunch . . . excellent!" 

An hour later we reluctantly left the relaxed common room forthe Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom four floors below. Nicholas and Zoe were already queuing outside with the Gryffindors, carrying an armful ofheavy books and looking put-upon. 

"We got so much homework for Runes," Nicholas said anxiously,when we joined them. "A fifteen-inch essay, two translations, and we've got to read these by Wednesday!" 

"Shame," yawned Ron. 

"You wait," he said resentfully. "I bet Snape gives us loads."

 The classroom door opened as she spoke, and Snape steppedinto the corridor, his sallow face framed as ever by two curtains ofgreasy black hair. Silence fell over the queue immediately. 

"Inside," he said. 

 I looked around as we entered. Snape had imposed hispersonality upon the room already; it was gloomier than usual, ascurtains had been drawn over the windows, and was lit by candlelight. New pictures adorned the walls, many of them showing people who appeared to be in pain, sporting grisly injuries or strangelycontorted body parts. Nobody spoke as they settled down, lookingaround at the shadowy, gruesome pictures. 

"I have not asked you to take out your books," said Snape, closing the door and moving to face the class from behind his desk;Hermione hastily dropped her copy of Confronting the Faceless backinto her bag and stowed it under her chair. "I wish to speak to you,and I want your fullest attention."

 His black eyes roved over our upturned faces, lingering for afraction of a second longer on Harry's and mine than anyone else's. 

"You have had five teachers in this subject so far, I believe." 

You believe . . . like you haven't watched them all come and go,Snape, hoping you'd be next, I thought scathingly. 

"Naturally, these teachers will all have had their own methodsand priorities. Given this confusion I am surprised so many of youscraped an O.W.L. in this subject. I shall be even more surprised ifall of you manage to keep up with the N.E.W.T. work, which willbe much more advanced."Snape set off around the edge of the room, speaking now in alower voice; the class craned their necks to keep him in view.