73: Fog

Late in the afternoon, , a few days after New Year, Me, Harry, Ron,and Ginny lined up beside the kitchen fire to return to Hogwarts. 

The Ministry had arranged this one-off connection to theFloo Network to return students quickly and safely to the school.Only Mrs. Weasley was there to say good-bye, as Mr. Weasley,Fred, George, Bill, and Fleur were all at work. Mrs. Weasley dissolved into tears at the moment of parting.

 Admittedly, it took verylittle to set her off lately; she had been crying on and off ever sincePercy had stormed from the house on Christmas Day with hisglasses splattered with mashed parsnip (for which Fred, George,and Ginny all claimed credit). 

"Don't cry, Mum," said Ginny, patting her on the back as Mrs.Weasley sobbed into her shoulder. "It's okay. . . ." 

"Yeah, don't worry about us," said Ron, permitting his motherto plant a very wet kiss on his cheek, "or about Percy. He's such aprat, it's not really a loss, is it?"

Mrs. Weasley sobbed harder than ever as she enfolded me inher arms. 

"Promise me you'll look after yourself. . . . Stay out of trouble. . . ." 

"I always do, Mrs. Weasley," I said. "I like a quiet life, youknow me.

"She gave a watery chuckle and stood back. "Be good, then, all ofyou. . . ." 

I stepped into the emerald fire and shouted "Hogwarts!" I had one last fleeting view of the Weasleys' kitchen and Mrs.Weasley's tearful face before the flames engulfed me; spinning veryfast, I caught blurred glimpses of other Wizarding rooms, whichwere whipped out of sight before I could get a proper look; then I was slowing down, finally stopping squarely in the fireplace inProfessor McGonagall's office. 

She barely glanced up from herwork as I clambered out over the grate.

 "Evening,Ms Potter. Try not to get too much ash on the carpet." 

"No, Professor." 

I flattened my hair as Harrry camespinning into view. When Ginny and Rona had arrived, all I bade them goodbye and trooped out of McGonagall's office and off toward the Slytherin Dungeons. 

I glanced out of the corridor windows as I passed;the sun was already sinking over grounds carpeted in deeper snowthan had lain over the Burrow garden. In the distance, he could seeHagrid feeding Buckbeak in front of his cabin. 

"Emma!" Hermione and Zoe came crashing into me as Harry, Ron and Ginny passed us. 

"Did you have a good Christmas?" asked Hermione

"Yeah," said Ron at once, "pretty eventful, Rufus Scrim —"

 "I've got something for you, Emma," said Hermione, neitherlooking at Ron nor giving any sign that she had heard him. "Oh,hang on — there's a new password. Abstinence." 

"You do know now we can sneak into your common room right?" asked Zoe as the others left.

"You better not. Ems, are you alright?"

I knew what they were talking about. 

"Better now" I smiled. 

"I wish I could murder that sick idiot" growled Zoe.

"I wish we had enough proof" said Hermione. 

And I wish it hadn't happened at all. I thought. 

"So how was your Christmas?" 

"Oh, fine," Hermione shrugged. "Nothing special. How was it at Won-Won's?" 

"I'll tell you in a minute,"I said. "Look, Hermione, can'tyou — ?"