58: Conversation in a Broom Cupboard

In spite ofthe feeling of dread that had just swept through me, my spiritscould not help but lift at the sight of it. Ron was in there . . . andso was Mrs. Weasley, who could cook better than anyone I knew. . . . 

"If you don't mind, Harry, Emma" said Dumbledore, as we passedthrough the gate, "I'd like a few words with you before we part. Inprivate. Perhaps in here?" 

Dumbledore pointed toward a run-down stone outhouse wherethe Weasleys kept their broomsticks. A little puzzled, Harry and I followed Dumbledore through the creaking door into a space a littlesmaller than the average cupboard. Dumbledore illuminated thetip of his wand, so that it glowed like a torch, and smiled down atHarry and me. 

"I hope you will forgive me for mentioning it, Harry, Emma but I ampleased and a little proud at how well you seem to be coping aftereverything that happened at the Ministry. Permit me to say that Ithink Sirius would have been proud of you."

 I swallowed; my voice seemed to have deserted me. I didnot think I could stand to discuss Sirius; it had been painfulenough to hear Uncle Vernon say "His godfather's dead?" and evenworse to hear Sirius's name thrown out casually by Slughorn. 

"It was cruel," said Dumbledore softly, "that you and Sirius hadsuch a short time together. A brutal ending to what should havebeen a long and happy relationship." 

I nodded, my eyes fixed resolutely on the spider now climbing Dumbledore's hat. I could tell that Dumbledore understood, that I might even suspect that until his letter arrived, Harry and I hadspent nearly all our time at the Dursleys' lying on our beds, going out for long walks, refusingmeals, and staring at the misted window, full of the chill emptinessthat we had come to associate with dementors.

 "It's just hard," Harry said finally, in a low voice, "to realize hewon't write to us again." 

My eyes burned suddenly and I blinked. I felt stupid for admitting it, but the fact that we had had someone outside Hogwartswho cared what happened to us, almost like a parent, had beenone of the best things about discovering our godfather . . . and nowthe post owls would never bring us that comfort again. . . .

 "Sirius represented much to you that you had never knownbefore," said Dumbledore gently. "Naturally, the loss is devastating. . . ."

 "But while we were at the Dursleys' . . ."I interrupted, my voice growing stronger, "we realized we can't shut ourselves away or — orcrack up. Sirius wouldn't have wanted that, would he? And anyway,life's too short. . . . Look at Madam Bones, look at EmmelineVance. . . . It could be me next, couldn't it? But if it is," I saidfiercely, now looking straight into Dumbledore's blue eyes gleaming in the wandlight, "I'll make sure I take as many Death Eaterswith me as I can, and Voldemort too if I can manage it."

 "Spoken both like your mother and father's children and Sirius's truegodchildren!" said Dumbledore, with an approving pat on my back."I take my hat off to you — or I would, if I were not afraid ofshowering you in spiders. 

"And now, Harry,Emma on a closely related subject . . . I gather thatyou have been taking the Daily Prophet over the last two weeks?" 

"Yes," said Harry, and my heart beat a little faster.

"Then you will have seen that there have been not so much leaksas floods concerning your adventure in the Hall of Prophecy?"

 "Yes," said Harry again. "And now everyone knows that we're theone —" 

"No, they do not," interrupted Dumbledore. "There are only three people in the whole world who know the full contents of theprophecy made about you and Lord Voldemort, and they are all standing in this smelly, spidery broom shed. It is true, however,that many have guessed, correctly, that Voldemort sent his DeathEaters to steal a prophecy, and that the prophecy concerned you. 

"Now, I think I am correct in saying that you have not told anybody that you know what the prophecy said?" 

"No,"I said. 

"A wise decision, on the whole," said Dumbledore. "Although Ithink you ought to relax it in favor of your friends, Mr. RonaldWeasley and Miss Hermione Granger. Yes," he continued, whenHarry and I looked startled, "I think they ought to know. You do them adisservice by not confiding something this important to them. Ms Anderson too, since she had proven herself worthy in the past." 

"We didn't want —"

 "— to worry or frighten them?" said Dumbledore, surveying me over the top of his half-moon spectacles. "Or perhaps, toconfess that you yourself are worried and frightened? You needyour friends,Emma. As you so rightly said, Sirius would not havewanted you to shut yourself away." 

I said nothing, but Dumbledore did not seem to require ananswer.

 He continued, "On a different, though related, subject, itis my wish that you take private lessons with me this year.

"Private — with you?" said Harry, surprised out of his preoccupied silence.

 "Yes. I think it is time that I took a greater hand in your education." 

"What will you be teaching us, sir?" 

"Oh, a little of this, a little of that," said Dumbledore airily. 

I waited hopefully, but Dumbledore did not elaborate, so I asked something else that had been bothering me slightly. 

"If we're having lessons with you, we won't have to do Occlumencylessons with Snape, will we?"

 "Professor Snape, Emma — and no, you will not." 

"Good," said Harry in relief, "because they were a —"He stopped, careful not to say what he really thought.

 "I think the word 'fiasco' would be a good one here," I said, nodding.Harry and Dumbledore laughed. 

"Well, that means I won't see much of Professor Snape from nowon," Harry said, "because he won't let me carry on Potions unless I get'Outstanding' in my O.W.L., which I know I haven't." 

"Don't count your owls before they are delivered," said Dumbledore gravely. "Which, now I think of it, ought to be some time latertoday. Now, two more things, Harry, Emma before we part. 

"Firstly, Harry, I wish you to keep your Invisibility Cloak with you at alltimes from this moment onward. Even within Hogwarts itself. Justin case, you understand me? And stay close to eachother." 

Harry nodded. 

"And lastly, while you stay here, the Burrow has been given the highest security the Ministry of Magic can provide. These measureshave caused a certain amount of inconvenience to Arthur andMolly — all their post, for instance, is being searched at the Ministry before being sent on. They do not mind in the slightest, fortheir only concern is your safety. However, it would be poor repayment if you risked your neck while staying with them." 

"we understand," I said quickly. 

"Very well, then," said Dumbledore, pushing open the broomshed door and stepping out into the yard. "I see a light in thekitchen. Let us not deprive Molly any longer of the chance to deplore how thin you are."