59: Os, Es and As

Harry, Me, and Dumbledore approached the back door of theBurrow, which was surrounded by the familiar litter ofold Wellington boots and rusty cauldrons; I could hear thesoft clucking of sleepy chickens coming from a distant shed. Dumbledore knocked three times and I saw sudden movement behind the kitchen window. 

"Who's there?" said a nervous voice I recognized as Mrs.Weasley's. 

"Declare yourself!"

 "It is I, Dumbledore, bringing Harry. and Emma" 

The door opened at once. 

There stood Mrs. Weasley, short,plump, and wearing an old green dressing gown."Harry, Emma dear! Gracious, Albus, you gave me a fright, you said notto expect you before morning!" 

"We were lucky," said Dumbledore, ushering Harry and me over thethreshold. "Slughorn proved much more persuadable than I hadexpected. Harry and Emma's doing, of course. Ah, hello, Nymphadora!"

I looked around and saw that Mrs. Weasley was not alone,despite the lateness of the hour. A young witch with a pale, heartshaped face and mousy brown hair was sitting at the table clutching a large mug between her hands. 

"Hello, Professor," she said. "Wotcher, Harry, Emma." 

"Hey, Tonks"

"Hi, Tonks." 

I thought she looked drawn, even ill, and there was something forced in her smile. Certainly her appearance was less colorful than usual without her customary shade of bubble-gum-pinkhair. 

"I'd better be off," she said quickly, standing up and pulling hercloak around her shoulders. "Thanks for the tea and sympathy,Molly."

 "Please don't leave on my account," said Dumbledore courteously, "I cannot stay, I have urgent matters to discuss with RufusScrimgeour." 

"No, no, I need to get going," said Tonks, not meeting Dumbledore's eyes. " 'Night —" 

"Dear, why not come to dinner at the weekend, Remus andMad-Eye are coming — ?" 

"No, really, Molly . . . thanks anyway . . . Good night, everyone. 

Tonks hurried past Dumbledore, Harry and me into the yard; a fewpaces beyond the doorstep, she turned on the spot and vanishedinto thin air. I noticed that Mrs. Weasley looked troubled. 

"Well, I shall see you at Hogwarts, Harry, Emma" said Dumbledore."Take care of yourself. Molly, your servant." 

He made Mrs. Weasley a bow and followed Tonks, vanishing atprecisely the same spot. Mrs. Weasley closed the door on the empty yard and then steered Harry and me by the shoulders into the full glow ofthe lantern on the table to examine our appearances. 

"You're like Ron," she sighed, looking Harry up and down. "Bothof you look as though you've had Stretching Jinxes put on you. Iswear Ron's grown four inches since I last bought him school robes. And you--" she started inspecting me "have you been eating?"

"Yes, Mrs Weasly" I said meekly.

"Hmm" she said "Are you hungry, dears?"

 "Yeah, we are ,"I said, suddenly realizing just how hungry I was. 

"Sit down, dear, I'll knock something up." 

As Harry and I sat down, a furry ginger cat with a squashed facejumped onto my knees and settled there, purring. 

"So Hermione's here?" I asked happily as I tickled Crookshanks behind the ears. 

"Oh yes, she arrived the day before yesterday," said Mrs. Weasley, rapping a large iron pot with her wand. It bounced onto thestove with a loud clang and began to bubble at once. "Everyone's inbed, of course, we didn't expect you for hours. Here you are —"