78: Felix Felicis

Patches of bright blue sky were beginning to appear over thecastle turrets, but these signs of approaching summer did notlift my mood. 

We had been thwarted, both in our attempts tofind out what Malfoy was doing, and in our efforts to start a conversation with Slughorn that might lead, somehow, to Slughorn handing over the memory he had apparently suppressed for decades.

 "For the last time, just forget about Malfoy," Hermione toldHarry and me firmly. 

We were sitting with Ron and Zoe in a sunny corner of the courtyardafter lunch.Zoe, Hermione and Ron were clutching a Ministry ofMagic leaflet — Common Apparition Mistakes and How to AvoidThem — for they were taking their tests that very afternoon, but byand large the leaflets had not proved soothing to the nerves. 

Ron gave a start and tried to hide behind Hermione as a girlcame around the corner. 

"It isn't Lavender," said Hermione wearily.

Oh, good," said Ron, relaxing.

 "Harry and Emma Potter?" said the girl. "I was asked to give you this."

 "Thanks . . ." 

My heart sank as I took the small scroll of parchment.Once the girl was out of earshot I said, "Dumbledore said wewouldn't be having any more lessons until we got the memory!"

 "Maybe he wants to check on how you're doing?" suggested Zoe, as I unrolled the parchment; but rather than finding Dumbledore's long, narrow, slanted writing I saw an untidysprawl, very difficult to read due to the presence of large blotcheson the parchment where the ink had run. 

Dear Emma, Harry, Ron, and Hermione, 

Aragog died last night. Harry and Ron, you met him,and you know how special he was. Hermione,Emma I knowyou'd have liked him.

 It would mean a lot to me ifyou'd nip down for the burial later this evening. I'mplanning on doing it round dusk, that was his favoritetime of day. I know you're not supposed to be out thatlate, but you can use the cloak. 

Wouldn't ask, but Ican't face it alone. 

Hagrid 

"Look at this,"I said, handing the note to Hermione and Zoe. 

"Oh, for heaven's sake," Zoe said, scanning it quickly and passingit to Ron, who read it through looking increasingly incredulous. 

"He's mental !" he said furiously. "That thing told its mates to eat Harry and me! Told them to help themselves! And now Hagrid expects us to go down there and cry over its horrible hairy body!" 

"It's not just that," said Hermione. "He's asking us to leave thecastle at night and he knows security's a million times tighter andhow much trouble we'd be in if we were caught."

 "We've been down to see him by night before," said Harry.

 "Yes, but for something like this?" said Hermione. "We've riskeda lot to help Hagrid out, but after all — Aragog's dead. If it were aquestion of saving him —"

 "— I'd want to go even less," said Ron firmly. "You didn't meethim, Hermione. Believe me, being dead will have improved him alot."

 I took the note back and stared down at all the inkyblotches all over it. Tears had clearly fallen thick and fast upon theparchment. . . .

 "Emma, you can't be thinking of going," said Zoe. "It'ssuch a pointless thing to get detention for." 

I sighed.