4: The Howler

"What?" said Harry. 

"You heard me — OUT!" Uncle Vernon bellowed, and even Aunt Petunia and Dudley jumped. "OUT! OUT! I should've done it yearsago! Owls treating the place like a rest home, puddings exploding, halfthe lounge destroyed, Dudley's tail, Marge bobbing around on theceiling, and that flying Ford Anglia — OUT! OUT! You've both had it!You're history! You're not staying here if some loony's after you both, you'renot endangering my wife and son, you're not bringing trouble downon us, if you're going the same way as your useless parents, I've had it!OUT!" 

Harry and I stood rooted to the spot. The letters from the Ministry,Mr. Weasley, and Sirius were crushed in my left hand. Don't leave thehouse again, whatever you both do. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR AUNT ANDUNCLE'S HOUSE

"You heard me!" said Uncle Vernon, bending forward now, so thathis massive purple face came closer to ours, so that I actuallyfelt flecks of spit hit his face. "Get going! You were all keen to leavehalf an hour ago! I'm right behind you! Get out and never darken ourdoorstep again! Why we ever kept you in the first place I don't know.Marge was right, it should have been the orphanage, we were toodamn soft for our own good, thought we could squash it out of you,thought we could turn you normal, but you've been rotten from thebeginning, and I've had enough — OWLS!"

 The fifth owl zoomed down the chimney so fast it actually hit thefloor before zooming into the air again with a loud screech. Harryraised his hand to seize the letter, which was in a scarlet envelope, butit soared straight over his head, flying directly at Aunt Petunia, who letout a scream and ducked, her arms over her face. 

The owl dropped thered envelope on her head, turned, and flew straight up the chimneyagain.Harry darted forward to pick up the letter, but Aunt Petunia beathim to it. 

"You can open it if you like," said Harry, "but we'll hear what it saysanyway. That's a Howler."

"Let go of it, Petunia!" roared Uncle Vernon. "Don't touch it, itcould be dangerous!" 

"It's addressed to me," said Aunt Petunia in a shaking voice. "It'saddressed to me, Vernon, look! Mrs. Petunia Dursley, The Kitchen,Number Four, Privet Drive —"She caught her breath, horrified. The red envelope had begun tosmoke.

 "Open it!" I urged her. "Get it over with! It'll happenanyway —"

 "No —" 

Aunt Petunia's hand was trembling. She looked wildly around thekitchen as though looking for an escape route, but too late — the envelope burst into flames. Aunt Petunia screamed and dropped it.An awful voice filled the kitchen, echoing in the confined space, issuing from the burning letter on the table.

 "REMEMBER MY LAST, PETUNIA." 

Aunt Petunia looked as though she might faint. She sank into thechair beside Dudley, her face in her hands. The remains of the envelope smoldered into ash in the silence.

 "What is this?" Uncle Vernon said hoarsely. "What — I don't —Petunia?" 

Aunt Petunia said nothing. Dudley was staring stupidly at hismother, his mouth hanging open. The silence spiraled horribly. I was watching my aunt, utterly bewildered, my head throbbing fit toburst. 

"Petunia, dear?" said Uncle Vernon timidly. "P-Petunia?" 

She raised her head. She was still trembling. She swallowed."The boy — the boy and girl will have to stay, Vernon," she said weakly.

 "W-what?" 

"They must stay," she said. She was not looking at Harry or me. She got to herfeet again.