CHAPTER 26: The End of The Beginning

Everywhere you looked was pure grandeur, the palace was what it was, a palace fit for a king and a rightful one will finally sit on the throne. The ghosts stood around the room wearing their formal attire, guns still tucked into their pants and dresses. Zero was tucked under Four's good arm, his hand squeezing her exposed shoulder. She walked towards the window to peer outside, there she saw Murat with his generals, approaching a group of young army men. 

The young soldiers greeted their president, one of them going to bow and kiss his hand, something that Murat stopped as he placed his hands on the man's face, looking him straight in the eye. The ghost watched on to the scene, oblivious that the rest of the team followed her to see, "We did good." Two said from behind her, the young girl turning around surprised to see all of them. 

The team began talking about the mission, patting each other in the back for such a big success, when a guard unceremoniously opened the double doors, the ghosts not losing their reflexes on the battle field, pulled out each of their guns pointing to the door, which eventually spit out a laughing Murat. "Put the guns down ghosts, I'm the good guy remember?" 

The new president moved around to hug each of the ghosts, thanking them for their help "I will forever be in your debt" He spoke to them his hand holding Zero's as he gave it a tender kiss looking down at her injuries. "This home is welcome to any of you, my resources are always at the ready to your convenience."  he went to hug One, one last time as he left the ghosts in the room, Seven laughing slightly, finally taking a much needed breath. "Ya'll ready to go home?"

~~~

Looking around none of the ghosts that they missed the desert, it never felt like home, but after two near death experiences and one hell of a mission it felt nice to be back. Four held Lilah's hand as they walked towards her trailer, once they were in the confines of the metal cabin, the blonde man hugged the girl, the tight embrace startled the girl but eventually melted in his arms. She pushed him slightly so she could look at him but was even more surprised as she saw his eyes filled with tears. "What's the matter?" Zero asked her fingers going up to his eyes wiping, Billy chuckled at her tone letting the tears fall and streak on his cheeks.

"I thought I was gonna lose you damnit. You were bleeding everywhere for God's sake. When I heard it in the comms I just lost it, and you had One come after me while you were bleeding red on your own. God, if you died there and then and asked One who could have saved you to save me, I wish he'd come late so I'd have died inst-" Lilah didn't let him finished as she smashed their lips together, the stunned boy took a second before he could respond, his hands tightening on her waist, while her hands took their place on his neck. After a while she pulled away, much to Billy's dismay. She walked towards one of the desks, pulling on the deep drawers fishing something out. A small blue bag emerged from the drawer, little silver stars littered around it. "You're not pregnant are you?" His slight shock made her laugh, shaking her head no. 

"For mason, he's turning One today." The shock turned into a wide smile, he pulled her hand running to one of the jeeps. The pair climbed in, Four in the driver's seat and Zero beside him. With a push of a button and the whirr of the engine the couple ran out, oblivious to the ghosts that had watched them leave.

~~~

Zero got down, looking at the house, some things changed from the last time she was there, to drop off the kids. She noticed the flower beds, healthy flowers greeted her, the grass looked healthy as the sprinklers watered them. Hand in hand the couple walked towards the door, not as Four and Zero but as Billy and Lilah. It felt weird to her to knock, she hadn't seen the kids in a long time, months felt like decades. 

The door swung open to Mila that had a bright smile on her face that only got bigger as she realized who was at the door. She hugged the older girl, tears beginning to run down her face, she noticed the arm and frowned, turning to the older man. Four hugged the younger girl as the now One year old Mason crawled at their feet. Zero bent down to pick up the toddler, she too with tears in her eyes. "Happy Birthday bud." 

~~~

The trio sat in the living room just talking waiting for the food to cook, Zero told the young girl to not bother but had already gone to cook a feast for ten. A knock on the door stopped them, the ghosts looking at the girl that had a surprised look on her face, they got up running to the kitchen to get weapons, both of them walking to the door. Zero tried to go first but was stopped by Four who pushed her back, he looked into the peep hole and looked at the green eyed girl. She gave him a confused look as he lowered his weapon, opening the door. 

She peered through the entrance to see the rest of the ghost standing there, Two in the center holding a cake box, Lilah looked at One with her eyebrows raised "I remembered the kid's birthday, sue me." 

~~~

The little house felt like home, warmth was everywhere and everyone felt it, even One. He looked at the ghosts, the first time he has seen that type of happiness grace their face. The men, played with the little boy, Three trying to hand him his hand gun, only earning a smack in the head by Seven as Four carried the boy to their level. He looked to the kitchen where the girls were laughing, sharing stories as they helped the young girl prepare dinner. 

Dinner came around as they gathered at the table, he felt his heart swelled looking at the people he was with one last time before his gaze landed on the baby boy in the high chair, his train of thought going to his own son. Zero nudged her leader as she looked at Mason as well. "Some family huh."  

-fin-