CHAPTER 4: Safe

Lilah felt her heartbeat in her ear drums. The gun felt familiar in her hands but the feeling it once brought her wasn't anything like it did now. She breathed heavily, but she knew that she wasn't what mattered at that moment. She rushed to the girl's side and helped her to her feet, she left when she felt like she could get up and walked towards the baby.

She extended her hand to fix the blanket it was in her hands. She looked down and it was already looking at her. Blue and green orbs meet and she felt her heart clench, anger bubbled within her at the sight of the infant, so innocent and has been through so much already. She gave the baby back to the girl and picked up the gun once more. 

" Let me help you please. I owe it to you. To everyone that my parents fucked up. No one deserves what they did to you." 

Her lips quivered as she spoke, her eyes looked pretty genuine to the girl, she saved her life for God's sake, so she nodded and held the girl's hand as they rushed passed the trees, Lilah, was determined to get them out but she had no idea how. They were running for around ten minutes when they started to see the dull glow of the mansion not so far away, Lilah looked around to see the buggies.

" Come on, let's go, I know where I can keep you in the mean time."

 She checked it first before getting in, she took one of the towels and wrapped the girl and the baby in them, they were shivering so much, not only from the cold but the sheer fear and trauma that they have gone through. She tried to maneuver it so no one would see, once she knew that no one could, she floored it. After five minutes, she finally saw the small building her parents had made for her. She made it into a lab,, but it hasn't been occupied in weeks, but it was the best thing she had for the two. 

She turned the engine off and looked to where the girl sat. She was asleep still cuddling the young child in her arms. She smiled at the sight but woke the young girl nevertheless. 

" Hey, come on, I think I have some food inside."

 She got off the cart and helped the young girl do so as well. she held onto her shoulder steadying her, guiding her to the front door. She pressed her thumb on the pad by the door and went in. The inside looked like an apartment, completely in Lilah's expense, but her parents insisted that the mansion was safer. So it remained unoccupied most of the time. 

The dirty girl was at awe, with the place. She felt embarrassed that her feet were dragging dirt on the perfect floors. She looked around as the pretty girl disappeared behind one of the walls, she clutched her child closer, finally being able to relax a little from everything that had happened. Lilah came back with a clean tower, a bottle of water and a bag of chips. She gave the girl, a smile and handed her the things. 

" Do you have a name? I would give you something more filling but, this is all I have at the moment, plus it won't be good to eat heavy food at the moment, you might get sick. I know those bastards feed you close to nothing. The bathroom is in there if you want to take a bath, I'll watch your child." 

Lilah saw the slight hesitation before the girl nodded her head. She pointed her to the bathroom as she was left in the living area with the baby. It was looking at her and it scared Lilah that it didn't attempt to cry at all tonight. Brave. Like the mother. She thought gingerly, the cloth wrapped around it fell and she laughed as she realized that she had been referring to the baby as 'it' the entire night. He didn't look any older than a few months, eyes wide as he looked at her, a ghost of a smile on his precious face. Placing a pillow to trap the little boy in between the couch so he wouldn't fall off, she got up to get a small towel and wet it with some warm water. She came back to wipe of the dirt away from his little body. 

She started cooing at him as he started to drift off to sleep, for the millionth time that night. She then noticed that the young girl had gotten out from the shower, hair still wet and wearing the clothes that she had laid by the sink. 

" My name is Mila, and that's Mason. Thank you for saving us..." 

" Here, eat, so you could rest, take the bed too. Like I said, I owe  you and every single person they screwed over." 

The two girls look looked at the sleeping boy and smiled. He looked peaceful, as if nothing horrific had happened in his presence. Soft snores came out from his tiny parted lips and his eyes slightly open as if he was peeking through them. 

" I'm fifteen, he's a few months old. Had him a few months ago in the den. When it was just me, I could have easily accepted that I was gonna get out there without my freedom, but with him, I just couldn't. There was no way, that I was gonna get separated from him, and he was gonna grow up there.  That place was hell."

Lilah could only nod her head, she could only imagine the horror the younger girl had went through, she was sobbing .She placed her hand on her back and she cuddled into her side. Her sobs quieted down after five minutes and her breaths evened out. She fell asleep so Lilah carefully laid her on the couch so she could be more comfortable.  

" Don't worry kid, I got you. I'll keep you safe."