CHAPTER 6: Ash

Mr. and Mrs. Abrahams were always found in the grand saloon. The woman reading and the man silently thinking, smoking a pipe, small tufts occasionally coming out. They had just recently gone out to see the shipment going off. A few million worth of innocence straight into their pocket and there they were reaping that in a mansion. 

Their peaceful afternoon was interrupted by a booming noise. The noise had made the earth shake, terrifying the occupants of the home. The man reached out to his wife and she clung to him, shaking. He held her closer to her as the maids and some security staff came rushing in to check on them. 

" what was that? There was no way in hell that was just an earthquake."

The men took it as an order and went out, some of them talking into walkie talkies. The pair sat for a few seconds until the woman shot up quickly. Her form still shaking. " Lilah..."  She whispered silently. She looked around and saw a young girl, and called her over. " Go find others, go and find Lilah and bring her here." 

 The young girl nodded, already rushing to find more to look for the young mistress. The woman found herself in her husband's arms once more. Her face pressed gently against his chest, his heart beat was fast, so different from the stoic expression that he had on his face. The tender moment was broken as a man dressed in a black suit stumbled into the saloon. He breathed heavily, the communicator still in one of his hands. He looked grimly at the couple. Before he could speak, the girl from earlier did. " I'm sorry ma'am, but we couldn't find her anywhere within the mansion. She must be in her hideaway."  They nodded but froze as they saw the man pale from what he had just heard.

~~~

The couple were quickly escorted to the hideaway. The couples hands clasped tightly together, sweat forming on both their foreheads. It didn't take long for them to reach the hideaway and both of them couldn't help but let out an audible gasp. The hideaway wasn't even there anymore, everything was obliterated, some of the furniture were still on fire, burning from the blast. 

Their knees felt like jello as they got down from the vehicle. A man approached them holding something in his hands. He gave them a sad, sympathetic look and handed them the object he held. " we found it there under the ruin." They looked at the ring that had a little blood on it, slightly cracked and the family crest broken in half, like the mother's heart as they held the piece of jewelry that their daughter never took off. The heirloom that once belonged to grandpa Abrahams who adored young Lilah until the day of his departure. 

The couple found themselves on their knees, not caring that their clothes would be completely ruined from the soot and ash. They knew there was no way she could have survived that, she was complete ash now. The woman covered her mouth with her hand and let out sobs, her eyes flooding with tears and her tears then became streams on her cheeks. They had lost the most precious thing they had in their lives. All the money in the world could never cover up the pain they felt. Their Lilah was gone. 

~~~

A few kilometers away, Lilah, Mason, Mila and One sat in a jeep. Silence invaded them as One handed the green-eyed girl the tablet he had in his hands. It showed live footage of the wreckage. Her parents were in the middle, holding onto each other, on their knees. She had to admit that there was a twinge in her heart as she saw her parents so distraught, But deep down they needed this. 

Her face hardened and looked back at the man. " Now what?".  The man failed to say anything, only starting the engine and driving for the next two hours reaching the city and then the outskirts after thirty more minutes. The sun began peaking out as they stopped in front of a house. She gave the man a look of confusion and looked behind them to see that the two were fast asleep. 

" You said you wanted to keep them safe. Well they need a home for that." For the first time, Lilah shot him a small smile and grabbed the keys that he thrusted towards her. She got off the jeep excitedly. She pulled the door open to get to the mother and son. She shook Mila carefully and gave her a giant smile. "Come on!" 

Mila groggily followed the older girl who was already going to the door, her baby in her arms. She was pushed inside and Mason was then placed in her hands carefully. The girl walked out and returned a few second later with their bags in her hands. The home was a lot bigger than the hideaway. The kitchen fully stocked and it smelled clean. 

" You're safe now."  Mila felt the weight of her words, she felt so overwhelmed from what she heard. She was safe and it was all thanks to the green-eyed girl in front of her. She gave her a tight hug and they stayed like that for a few more seconds as they looked each other and laughed. Mason was squirming in between them, most probably unthankful for the squeeze. "Thank you so much!" They both laughed again, as tears streamed from their eyes.

" I'll try to visit as much as I can, I'll threaten him if he doesn't let me."

" I know you would, plus Mason needs to know the woman who had saved our lives."

" Hmmmmm... Well I'm dead now. I'll haunt you as much as I can, so little Mason here can remember me."

" Well, if you get tired of being dead. We'll be here." 

 The two girls gave each other one last squeeze and Lilah planted a sweet kiss to Mason's head. She went out of the house, opening the jeep, sitting herself carefully on the front seat. " So what now?"