CHAPTER 10: Soldier Boy

The California desert hid a lot of things, among them are the ghosts that have built their lair. The haunted house was empty as each of the ghosts retired to their own trailers. Zero on the other hand was on the road. The jeep that was usually parked within the complex rushed down in the early night. Her heart sped up in her excitement as she stopped in front of the familiar house. 

She didn't even bother knocking on the door. She walked straight in and smelled the delicious smell wafting through. She found Mila in the kitchen cooking, her back to her, the small boy perched on the high chair eating a bowl of yogurt. She smiled as Mason cooed at the sight of her, causing his mum to whip around and hug the older girl. " You ought to lock that door missy!"  She returned the hug squeezing her tightly.  Mila looked at her and frowned. " You didn't bring Billy?" From the hallway the door was opened and then slammed shut, the blonde man walking towards them. "HERE I AM!" The two girls laughed at him as they gathered around the table. 

After dinner the trio ended in the saloon, lounging around, Mason laid in Zero's arms asleep. He had grown since last month, nearly a year old and it  made her happy that he was here and safe. She noticed that Mila looked tired herself so she stood up and guided both her and Mason into the bedroom. She shook her head at the sight of the two kids. She walked slowly towards the saloon where Four sat looking rather lonesome. She plopped on his lap, uncaring. No one could see them here. One had no eyes in the home and she made sure of it. The two looked into each other's eyes and smiled.  A tender kiss was shared, far away from the other ghosts they were just Lilah and Billy. Two people that a billionaire found and then found each other. 

" We better head back. Load your motorcycle in the jeep." 

"Can't we just run away? Not care about One anymore?" 

The girl just gave him a small peck on the lips when she got up. A vibration tickled her  side so she took out her phone. She swiped the screen and saw the notification. Four looked at the girl his eyebrow cocked upwards in questioning. 

" I'm about to get us a seven."

~~~

The house in front of the first two ghost was rather small. Zero had tracked the soldier and they had found themselves there, in a small town. The tablet in her hand played back the conversation that brought them there. The man inside the home was most likely experiencing a great deal of survivor's guilt. He was one hell of a soldier though, not a bad sniper too. 

Blaine's mind was everywhere. He tried to focus on the show playing on the television, laughing at one of the characters, happiness seemed to come minimally since that day. He shook his head losing the laugh, he felt guilty for even feeling the slightest of happiness. He was there, sitting in his house, he had the opportunity to come back to his parents and continue on living his life. His brothers, whom he could have saved couldn't. 

He sat by the table once again, paper sprawled everywhere. It seemed like a hundred crumpled up pieces were on top. Proof of his failures to write to the families of his delta brothers. His hands shook and couldn't even grasp the pen firmly. His head felt like his head was going to explode, white noise invaded his world. 

" Welcome home Blaine. We've been looking for an operator like you for  a while now." 

Blaine was startled from the voice. He held a gun as he got closer, he saw a man standing looking out on the view from the balcony. The girl beside him looked young, she sat on the ledge her feet making an x shape as she swung them forward, she had given him a smile making him ease up a little bit. 

" Uhm, Who are you?" 

" I'm someone who would have let you pull the trigger."

"Excuse me?"

One looked at Zero as she took out her tablet. She pushed the volume up fully, the call wafting throughout the room. Blaine's eyes widening as he heard his own voice from the device. He sounded frantic as he asked for permission to shoot, his pleas being denied. The loud booming in the distance caused his knees to feel weak. 

"Can we come in?"

One placed his hand on Zero's back pushing the young girl inside. The soldier plopped himself on the couch watching the two strangers in front of him. Zero leaned against the wall, not even bothering to listen to One's speech. She looked around the room, looking at the mess that was everywhere. PTSD really is a bitch. She then played with the files she had in her hands, he placed it on the table. List of the evil motherfuckers One was previously pertaining to. 

" I will never tell you to not pull the trigger. What do you say to that?"

~~~

The first two ghosts and the newest one stood at the cemetery, far away from the funeral that occurred. Zero gave the ear bud and the binoculars to the soldier. He smiled at her in thanks. She looked through her own lenses seeing a weeping man, crying hysterically. 

" You guys should have seen him watch 'Coco'"

She chuckled at his remark as they packed to leave. 

" From now on you will be known as Seven. I'm One."

"I'm Zero"

" So there's eight of us?"

" No, just seven."

 He looked in between One and Zero as if asking more questions. The girl gave him a sympathetic smile. Her hand grabbed her bag straps, tightening them around her. 

" Don't worry about it Seven. He's just really like that. Everything will pan out soon enough for you."