Chapter Twenty Eight

The trailer is up above so go & check it out!

-

28

I wanted to laugh everyday. I wanted to be confident, I wanted to express my inner self without a second thought, I wanted to be free. And as cheesy that sounded, it was the truth. I wanted to be free, I wanted to let loose, I wanted to feel like I was invincible for a day. Then again, these are just another episode of my deep morning thoughts.

I was also still was confused about what happened last night.

Although I hated Nash---with a passion, may I add---he did come last night with Matthew to prevent me from doing something that, when I look back on it now, may not have been the smartest thing to do.

But, there was a look in his eyes that made me almost think that he felt bad for me. I still have no idea how they found me. I technically told Nash that I was going to turn myself in, but I didn't state it clearly. I didn't think he would catch on.

I just couldn't help but wonder: Why haven't the police found us yet? We couldn't have hid that good. Maybe my parents had backed off a little bit? Could that be possible?

I definitely wasn't going to let my guard down.

I looked at the time, to see that it was 11:57. Had I really slept that long? There's no way! Then again, I was roaming the streets of North Carolina at 3 in the morning.

I walked downstairs, not really expecting anyone to be down there. But, there was someone down there---at least, I assumed there was because I smelt pancakes.

I figured it would be Elizabeth, or Chad, since none of the boys would probably be up this early. I thought about maybe going back to bed until it seemed as if everyone else was up to avoid awkwardness, but it wouldn't be awkward with Elizabeth. I mean, it would be good to get to know the only other girl here, besides Skylynn.

As soon as I got downstairs, I sat on a stool at the island they had in their kitchen. I sat there, wide-eyed as I stared at who was cooking---it definitely wasn't Elizabeth.

Should I go back upstairs and pretend like I never came down? Nobody else was down here, and I didn't want to make things awkward. At this point, it was kind of too late, because he turned around with a pan in his hand. His eyes went wide, then softened.

"I thought you were Nash," Hayes said, "or Cameron."

"Oh, sorry..." I said quietly. I was so nervous and awkward that I said sorry. What was I sorry for? That I wasn't Nash or Cameron? It was an awkward situation, but I should've said something else. Now, it's even more awkward.

"It's fine," he muttered quietly. He put the pan in the sink, which, of course was right in front of me. I tried not to make eye contact.

"So..." He said quietly, trying to make conversation. "How was your first night here?"

I gulped. It's not like I could just come out and say, "Oh, it was great! Until I snuck out of the house to turn myself in, and then Mash and Matthew had to tackle me to prevent me from doing. Not to mention I was so cold I could barely move. What about you?"

That wouldn't do.

"Good I guess..."

Wow, great response Anna. You're on fire this morning. Way to not make things awkward.

"What are you making?" I managed to say. I couldn't think of anything else to say---it was awkward. This situation was awkward. I mean, it shouldn't be, but its not like I've met Hayes before last night, and when it's just the both of us---both us being very shy---then it gets awkward.