Chapter Sixteen

16

We arrived at yet another hotel, but this time in North Carolina. We ended up not going to Matt's Mom's house, I guess.

It was pretty small. There were only two beds and one very small bathroom.

I heard a phone ring, and Cameron accepted the call on his cellphone.

"Hello?" He asked, "yes this is Cameron..."

His eyes met mine. "Oh, she's fine. She's a bit sick, so she'll be out of school for a few more days."

That's when I understood. School. I had totally forgotten.

Suddenly Cameron's facial expression changed. At first he seemed sad, and he looked at me, then he looked to Matthew, and he grew angry.

No, not angry: furious.

"I understand..." Cameron said on the phone through gritted teeth. He hung up the phone and walked straight towards Matthew. He punched him in the gut.

Matthew doubled over in pain. "What the heck dude?!" He yelled in pain.

"Why don't we talk outside, maybe about school, does the name Kian ring a bell?" Cameron said, annoyed and angry. After he said that, Matthew's eyes went wide, and he walked quickly out the door. Right before Cameron closed it, he said,

"Now I know why you don't like him."

The school called, they must've found out somehow, they must've, then told Cam about the bullying.

I decided to walk over to the door and listen to what they were saying.

"What the heck Matt?! I thought you said you wanted to help!"

"I do---"

"Then why the hell did you---"

"Would you mind explaining?!" Matthew yelled, "I'm a little confused, so just tell me what's going on!"

"I'm confused too Matt, so maybe we can help each other out," Cameron said sarcastically.

"The school called, they said someone reported seeing a boy named Kian beating up my sister and then throwing her into a fucking janitors closet! And if I remember, when I asked you how school was going, you said that you made some friends, and one of them WAS KIAN!"

"I can explain---"

"I'M NOT DONE YET!" Cameron hollered, "I asked you multiple times if she was getting beat up, if she had any friends, and you lied to me! You said she had friends! You said she wasn't getting bullied! YOU LIED!"

"I LIED TO PROTECT HER!"

"DON'T GIVE ME THAT---"

"JUST LET ME EXPLAIN!" Matt yelled, then sighed, "just let me explain..."

He sighed again, "I was going to handle it---"

"Oh shut---"

"Let me finish..." Matthew said.

"I never knew he was physically hurting her until the day I hit her in the face with a football. I knew she didn't have friends, but Kian said that the reason she didn't was because she had told lies about them, and that she smoked and drank.

I believed it at first. Then, it started to come clear to me, that none of it was true: she was just a sweet, innocent girl who was getting bullied every single day. Kian never let me talk to her, and the day I hit her in the face, by accident, Kian congratulated me, saying that he was beginning to like me even more. Then he told me, how him and his friends would abuse her.