chapter: sixty four

Iris by Goo Goo Dolls^

"Where are you going?" Mom asks as she stuck her head in the bathroom as I was brushing my teeth.

I look at her through the mirror before spitting the toothpaste out in the sink. I rinsed my mouth out real quick before spitting again then looking at her. "The Shuler's invited me over to a get-together."

"They sure love you." She watches me as I smile at her. "I thought you would be going to that friend of yours."

"Who?" I ask, giving her a confused look.

She watches me as I wipe my hands on the towel that was hanging up. "That woman you told me about."

Nodding, I knew she was talking about River. "Oh. No."

"Are you still friends?"

Looking at her, I thought about telling her the truth but knew that it was too much to explain. I nodded instead then smiled at her, so she would believe me and stop asking questions about it.

"Yeah."

"Am I ever going to meet her?" She asks.

Shrugging, I smiled at her before stepping in front of her and turning the light off. She walked out and I was right behind her before I stopped in the hallway. "Maybe."

"Jesse,"

"Yes, mom." I chuckle, knowing that she probably won't. "I have to go." I look at my watch. "It's noon."

She grabs ahold of my arms and stops me before looking me up and down. "You look cute. Very gay." She smiles at me.

Smiling, I look down at myself. "Well.. it is a gay get-together."

"I love you." She leans in and kisses my cheek. "Very much."

"I love you too."

She pats my arms before releasing me and walking down the hall. I sigh before walking to my room to finish getting ready.

Slipping my shoes on, I went in front of the mirror and stopped to look at myself. I had my hair up in a messy bun and I had a black shirt on that goes well with the jacket I have on. Ripped jeans, mostly in the knee area and my high tops.

I kept messing with the jacket, making sure it looked good before grabbing my perfume and spraying a little on me. I made sure not to spray a lot but enough for it to smell good.

After I was done making myself look good, I grabbed my phone from the bed then headed out the room. I walked downstairs then saw Eli coming out of the kitchen before he stops and looks at me.

"Where are you going?"

"The Shuler's."

He sighs. "Thank god. I thought River told you to come over."

Shaking my head, I grabbed the brownie he had before taking a bite and handing it back to him. "I haven't talked to her or seen her in a week."

It's been a week since that night at El Placer. The last time I even saw or talked to River. She never messaged me and I haven't been out to run into her so I wasn't sure what was going on.

That was last time I showed my face in El Placer.

"Have fun." He smiled.

"Thanks." I waved at him before walking out the door and outside where the sun was shining and everything felt a little different.

Taking a breath, I walked to my car then got in. I started her up and heard the beautiful sound of her engine rumbling. I smiled as I buckled my seat belt then backed out of the driveway.