chapter: nineteen

"Jesse?"

I look over to see Brailynn watching me, giving me a weird look as I was hanging something on the wall. I look up to see that there was nothing there and I had forgotten to bring the picture up with me.

"Uh, can you hand me that picture?" I pointed down at the table.

Brailynn looks over and grabs it before handing it to me. I smiled before grabbing it and hanging it up. I made sure it was straight and didn't move around too much as I got off the ladder and looked up at it.

"You ok?"

I look over as Brailynn was looking at me and I smiled before nodding, looking up at the picture. "Yeah, why?"

"You just seem out of it."

Shrugging, I grab the ladder before taking it to the backyard where the shed was. I shut the doors before turning around and seeing Brailynn looking at me.

"What?"

"You sure you're ok, Jesse?"

I nodded before walking around her but she grabs my arm and pulls me back towards her. "Are you really sure?"

I sighed before stuffing my hands in my pockets and looking at her. I knew that I've been acting a little off for a few days now ever since I had that encounter with River and everything.

The past few days has been hell.

I couldn't stop thinking about her or dreaming about her. Sleep wasn't even an option the past few nights and during the day, I'm totally out of it.

Ever since Sara knew I liked River then said I shouldn't.. left me confused the last few days.

"I'm just.. I don't know how to explain it."

Brailynn looks at me for a moment before crossing her arms. "Is it a woman problem?" She titls her head and smiles at me.

"Huh?"

"Are you crushing on someone, Jesse?"

Giving her a confused look, I didn't know what to say. I knew it was cause of River but how the hell did Brailynn even figure that out.

"Maybe."

She smiles. "It's ok, Jesse."

"How did you know?"

"My mom was the same way when she met Micah. She was acting weird, moping around and staring into space. You were doing the same thing so I figured." She shrugged then smiled.

Shaking my head, I heard the back door to the house open and I saw Micah walk out. "What are y'all doing?"

"Micah! Can we go ride in your car?" Brailynn grabs my hand and pulls me towards the house.

After we were inside, Micah shut the door and looks at us. "Why?"

"Cause Jesse needs a talk."

I look over at Brailynn as she grins at me then I look at Micah as she was looking at us both with a questionable look. "Ask your-"

"Mom!" Brailynn yells before running out of the room.

Micah shakes her head and smiles at me. "That's what I deal with on a daily basis."

I chuckle as we both walk out of the living room and met Brailynn in the hall along with Cameron. She looks at us before looking at Micah and crossing her arms. "You know how I don't like you showing off in your car."

"I didn't have any say in it. Brailynn dragged me into whatever."

She looks at us then at Micah and sighs. "Be careful." I watch as she leans in and kisses her. "I love you. Have fun, Jesse." She smiles at me.