chapter: three

"Off to work?" Mom asks as I stepped into the kitchen where she was making something on the stove. I saw the coffee on the counter and instantly walked over to it and poured me a cup.

When I took a sip, I look over at her as she was watching me and waiting for my answer to her question. I nod then smiled at her as I brought the cup away from my lips.

"Yes ma'am. Just got a text and I need to be leaving soon."

She smiles then wipes her hands on a towel. "Ok, be careful." I nod as I finished my coffee before placing the cup in the sink. "And Jess?"

"Yes ma'am?"

I watch as she sighs then places her hand on the counter, leaning on it a little. "Why don't you want a car?"

"Who said I didn't want a car?"

"You did." She gave me a confused look.

Shrugging, I could feel her staring at me. "I don't know. I just.. I have Eli running me around."

She crosses her arms as she was watching me. "Jess-"

"I have a skateboard." I smiled as I pointed out the kitchen. "What more do I need?"

"What if when you get an actual job and have to drive there everyday."

I look around for a moment before looking back at her. "I'm happy with my board right now."

I saw her sigh then shook her head. "Ok, Jess. But you need to be careful on that thing."

"Yes ma'am." I smile then excused myself and walked out of the kitchen. I went upstairs to my room, grabbed my board from the wall then walked back downstairs.

It was currently ten in the morning and Eli was still sleeping. He doesn't work unless his boss tells him to come in, which is pretty cool but he works in a place where there's people so I'll have to pass.

Last night was a sleepless night, a little, cause I started having dreams about that woman I saw yesterday. I had a dream about her then woke up and couldn't get back to sleep.

After tossing and turning for an hour, I finally went back to sleep and didn't have another dream about her.

When I walk back in the kitchen, mom stopped what she was doing and looked over at me. A smile formed on her face as she walked towards me, pulling me into a hug and telling me how much she loved me.

Smiling, I wrapped my arms around her. I could never really get use to this feeling that I have every time I'm surrounded by the people that actually love and care about me.

"Be careful and make sure to tell me when you get there." Mom said as we pull back.

I smiled at her as I was gripping my skateboard and I saw mom eyeing it. I knew she didn't like me riding this up and down the streets, but.. the thing is, they already do so much for me and did a lot.

I couldn't ask for a car, when they gave me a family.

It's just something that can't compare to having a family, so therefore I don't want one right now.

After telling my mom bye, I made sure I had everything. I had money in my pocket for snacks at the store and I had my headphones so I could listen got music while working and my board in my hand.

I walked outside and looked around at how amazing it felt outside. There was definitely a chill in the air and you could see the changing in everything as fall was already here and taking over.

Smiling, I walked to the sidewalk before tossing my skateboard down before placing my right foot on it then pushing off with my left.

I skated down the sidewalk as I looked around at all the houses around. I smiled as I saw a dog outside, running around when it saw me.