chapter: twenty eight

Stepping into El Placer, I could definitely feel something different in the air. All those other times could not match up to this time as I was walking in with Naomi in front and Eli behind me.

My eyes were on anything but the counter. I felt Eli grab my arm before saying something in my ear over the loud music that was playing.

"Don't forget to find River."

Looking at him, I nodded. I knew that I needed to talk to her but a part of me didn't want to encounter her. I was scared for some reason cause I wasn't sure what the answers were going to be.

We found a booth then sat down. Naomi and Eli sat down together as I was facing towards the counter. I didn't want to be facing it but it was too late to ask to switch.

Just keep your eyes away.

After a few moments, a waiter came to take our orders. I just ordered some fries since I wasn't hungry. Naomi ordered a drink but no food and Eli ordered the wings.

"I love this song." Naomi said. "I'm glad their playing some old music. The new music isn't shit."

Eli nods as he had his arm around her shoulder. I watch as he looks at me then motions towards the counter. I look over but didn't see her then I shook my head as I look back at him.

Knowing that he wasn't going to leave me alone about this. It's going to be a long night.

When our drinks and food came, I mostly kept my face down and listened to the music. I was listening as another song came on and that made me look up towards the counter.

Catching River's eyes as she was looking back at me.

Fuck.

Looking at Naomi and Eli, I excused myself as I knew it was now or never. I sighed as I walked towards the counter and felt my heart pounding with every step.

And this damn song wasn't helping.

River was watching my every move as I approached the counter then sat down calmly. I folded my arms over the counter then looked over as she was walking towards me.

"Can we talk?" She asks.

Nodding, I watch as she looks around before motioning me to follow her. I got up then walked to the back of the bar where the back door was before walking out behind her.

As we walked outside, the cold air instantly hit me and I crossed my arms as I was now shivering. I followed her a little ways through the parking lot before we stopped underneath a street light.

"I was hoping to see you tonight." She spoke as I saw steam coming from her breath.

"Yeah, I was hoping to see you also."

She sighs then stuffs her hands in her pocket of her jeans. "I know you want to know what happened yesterday." I didn't say anything as she continued. "I was going to explain to you but you left before I could."

"Right." I said. "So, what happened? Why was I at your house?"

"That night when we were outside and you walked back towards the doors," I nodded as I watch her. "you fainted before you made it inside."

I furrowed my eyebrows as I stared at her. "Huh?"

"I know that sounds crazy but that's what happened."

Looking at her, I slowly nodded. "Ok, so if I fainted then why didn't you ask my brother to take me home? Why did you kidnap me?"

I heard her chuckle and it made a weird feeling in my chest. "I did not kidnap you."