chapter: seven

"How was everyone's day today?" Mom asks as we were all sitting at the table for dinner. It was currently eight at night, Friday night and we were all eating dinner together.

Mom made some spaghetti, which was my favorite. She told me she made it specially for me cause she knew I liked it so much.

That made me happy that she does stuff like that sometimes.

She pays attention to things I like and it feels good. I've been in this family for eight years, so it's still good to know that they pay attention to small details about what I like and don't like.

As we were talking about our day, I smiled as dad was laughing at something mom said. I smiled as they were talking, laughing and smiling. I couldn't ask for a better family and it's a blessing to have this one.

Eli looks at me and smiles. I returned it as we all ate, talked about things and enjoyed each other's company. I was enjoying this plate of spaghetti so much, that I hardly didn't talk.

I was stuffing my face cause spaghetti was one of my favorite foods.

Along with tacos of course.

Plus chicken wings.

After supper was over, I helped mom clean then went upstairs to my room. I saw Eli walking out of the bathroom and smiled when I followed him to his room.

"How are things going with that girl?"

He jumps when I speak then turned around to face me. "Damn, Jess. You scared the hell out of me." I shrug as I sat down on his bed. "Things are good. We've been texting nonstop and we still have our date Saturday."

"I'm so happy for you." I smiled at him as he smiled back then looked down at his phone. "So, when are you planning on telling mom and dad?"

I watch as he shrugs then he walks around as he was stuck on his phone. "Not sure. I want to see where this goes first."

"I wouldn't do that." I lean back on my hands as he looks over at me. "Tell them now before it gets too late. They'll ask where you're going Saturday. Since we won't be together, they'll know something is up."

"I'll figure it out. I'll tell them."

I nod as I watch him for a moment before standing up and walking towards the window. It was a beautiful night tonight and I wanted to enjoy the night sky.

Opening the window, I climbed out onto the roof and crawled out before sitting down in a spot that wouldn't result in me falling to my death.

I almost fell off a few times and nearly broke every bone in my body.

I'm clumsy anyways, so that wouldn't surprise me if I did.

After a moment of gazing up at the night sky, I heard Eli climb through the window and sat next to me. We both looked at the sky, all the stars and I smiled up at them as I knew nothing could be better than this.

Eli and I talked about everything. He mentioned that girl that he's been talking to and I found out her name was Naomi, which was a cute name for a cute girl.

Seeing only a little portion of her was enough to know she was cute and I was extremely happy for Eli.

"Telling mom and dad is a different story." Eli chuckled. "I'm a little nervous about inviting her over cause I know how mom is. I don't want her embarrassing me or anything but I knew that's going to most likely happen."

I chuckle as I watch him. "That's what parents do, Eli. They embarrass us."

He nods then sighs. "You got that right. I can't remember a time where they didn't embarrass me."