chapter: fifty eight

"Sophie asked what I was doing." River said as I was standing in the kitchen with her as she was cooking. I was leaning against the counter, watching her stand in front of the stove.

She turns to look at me and I look back at her. "What do you mean? Like what you're doing with me?" I saw her nod before turning back towards the stove.

"Yeah."

"What did you tell her?"

I kept watching as she was standing there, cooking in the pan as she wasn't saying anything for a few moments. I watch as she turns around then wipes her hands on a towel.

"I told her the truth."

"Which is..?"

She looks down at the towel in her hands for a moment before looking back up at me. I could see something in her eyes and I wasn't sure what to expect, which scared me.

"I like you and.. I know how bad I can get. I'm not going to say something then do something entirely different. I don't want to.. hurt you. But I know that's what is coming cause I always end up hurting someone." She looks down at the towel.

"Hurting someone is what I do best." She says then turns around towards the stove.

Standing there, I thought about what she said and realized that I'm in a situation that I may or may not be able to get out of.

At least she was honest.

Being in love with someone that isn't going to feel the same.. hurts.

I understand where River is coming from and it's honestly a heartbreaking thing to think about.

But here I am.

Belle said she doesn't do commitments so I don't know what to do.

"Are you hungry?" She asks as she was turning around, looking at me.

I look down at the pan on the stove then back at her, then I looked towards the kitchen entrance. I look back at her as she was staring at me and I knew that she knew what I was thinking.

"Sure."

She makes me a plate before handing it to me and I sat at the table. I saw her standing at the counter, putting everything up. I stared at her and watched as she was cleaning the dishes then putting them up.

Looking down at the food, I stirred it in the pan before sighing and placing my elbow on the table before taking a bite. I kept stirring the food around in the pan as I wasn't really hungry but didn't want to be rude.

"Who came to see you?" She asks. "I've seen him before with you."

"My brother." I said as I look up at her.

She nods then continued to clean the dishes. "How did he know you were here?"

I shrugged then looked down. "He said that he went down this street and saw my car."

"Did you tell him that you were here?"

"No."

It was silence for a moment besides the noises from the dishes before she spoke again. "Does anyone know about me?"

I looked up at her as she was staring at me and I gave her a confused look. "What do you mean?"

"Like.. you being here or anything?"

"No."

She nods then looks back down at the sink before placing the dishes away. I kept watching her before finishing my food and standing up, walking towards the sink and placing the plate in the sink.