Chapter 21

After dinner, we all sat in the family, the fire crackling softly as my mother told Elizabeth stories from my youth. I sat closely next to her as she giggled and sipped her wine, laughing.

"He was quite the little adventurer in his younger years." My mother said, smirking at me. I smiled softly, running my fingers up and down Elizabeth's arm.

"We really should get going." I say as I slowly sit up.

"Of course honey, Elizabeth, come, I'd love to give you both some leftovers. She smiled at me as she followed my mother into the kitchen. My father's phone rang, he stood up walking briskly towards his office. I rolled my eyes, walking over to my sisters for a hug.

"It was great to see you both," I say, hugging Casey.

"It's always great to see you Caleb, don't be a stranger." Casey said, giving me a big squeeze. Carla pulled me in, squeezing even tighter. I chuckled, squeezing back.

"I love you both, if you need anything just let me know. Merry Christmas." I say, pulling Casey in for a group squeeze. My father reappeared and my smile faded quickly.

"Caleb, I just wanted you to have these. I had my assistant run a background check on Elizabeth." He whispered into my ear. I pulled back, scowling at him.

"I don't want them, Jesus dad!" I said through pierced lips. I grabbed the folder from his hand tossing it in the fire, startling my sisters.

"Jesus Caleb! What the fuck!" My sister Carla yelled.

"Keep out of my life!" I yelled, rushing to the kitchen to collect Elizabeth. She was smiling, chatting up my mother when I grabbed her arm, pulling her towards the door.

"Let's go." My mother frowned, her head jolting towards the living room. My sisters and father followed in hast.

"Caleb! What did you do now Stu!" My mother yelled, scowling at my father. Elizabeth hurriedly walked towards the door, confusion splashed across her face. I opened the door, rushing past Thomas. I unlocked the car, opening Elizabeth's door and walking to the driver's side. Elizabeth buckled her seatbelt as I backed out of the driveway.

"Caleb, what just happened?" She asked, grabbing the hand that was clutching the middle console.

"I can only deal with my arrogant father for so long," I say, pulling onto the highway. "He is just a fucking asshole and gives a fuck about people's feelings. Money powers that man and I want nothing to do with it." Her demeanor changed and she sat back in the seat.

As we approached the condos, the silence stilled the air. I pulled into the parking garage, turning into my spot. I pushed the gear in the park, looking over at Elizabeth. She sparked a soft smile, rubbing the skin between my thumb.

"I'm sorry for freaking out back there. Can you believe he actually ran a background check on you? Like how insane is that?!" I say, pulling her in for a kiss. We pulled back and her smile faded.

"Why would he even think to do that?" She questioned. I didn't have a good answer for her, that's truly how my father was. Invasive and controlling.

"I couldn't even tell you Elizabeth, all I can say is I'm sorry." I shrugged, pulling the keys from the ignition.

"I know it has nothing to do with you. I'm sorry you had to deal with that tonight." I opened my door, walking to her side to help her down. I opened her door, grabbing her hand as she stepped on the foot board. I shut her down, locking the truck. We walked towards the elevators, I scooped her up walking briskly.

"Oh my goodness, Caleb! Put me down!" She demanded, swatting my back with her purse. I chuckled, pushing the button waiting for the elevator to descend. I stepped in the elevator with Elizabeth still on my shoulders, pushing the button for my floor.