An Evermore Tale as Old as Time

After knowing of Knuckles' past Rouge decides to cheer him up with a dance and dinner. As they started to dance, Sonic had Tails play piano to set in the mood and sing for Cream despite his growling voice.

Sonic: (Singing) Tale as old as time, true as it can be
Barely even friends, then somebody bends unexpectedly

Just a little change, small to say the least
Both a little scared, neither one prepared
Knuckles and the Vampire

Ever just the same
Ever a surprise
Ever as before
Ever just as sure as the sun will rise

Tale as old as time
Tune as old as song
Bittersweet and strange finding you can change, learning you were wrong

Certain as the sun
Rising in the east
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Knuckles and the Vampire

Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Knuckles and the Vampire

Sonic: (Speaking to Marine) Off to bed, little lady. It's past your bedtime. (Licks her head sweetly) Night, Sweetie. (Marine goes to bed but peeked at Knuckles and Rouge happy)

Rouge: I missed dancing a lot.

Knuckles: (Chuckles then groans) Wha-? (Memory of Rouge and the castle gets restored) Rouge? I... Met you before.

???: (Off-screen) Rouge? (Both turn and see Chip)

Rouge: Chip? Chip! (Goes over and hugs him) Guys, Chip's back!

Everyone except Knuckles: (Goes over and joins the hug) Chip! Oh, we missed you! Where were you?

Chip: It's a long story. Oh. (Holds up the Cinderella book) I also found this book in here.

Knuckles: (Takes the book from Chip) Thanks for finding it. (Smiles lightly but then looks down sad)

Rouge: (Let's go of the group hug) Knuckles?

Knuckles: I... Just miss the others. If only there was a way to see them.

Rouge: Maybe there is.

Later in the West Wing.

Rouge: (Shows the mirror to Knuckles) This mirror will show you what you wish to see.

Knuckles: (Gets the mirror and looks into it) I want to see Vector, Espio and Charmy. (The mirror then glowed and showed Vector coughing violently before passing out being held by Espio and Charmy) Guys! Oh no! Father's in trouble!

Rouge: (Looks at the rose) Then... Go to them.

Knuckles: What? You mean I'm free?

Rouge nods and Knuckles hugs her before handing the mirror to her.

Rouge: Keep it. It'll help you find your way back.

Knuckles: (Sighs) Hold on, guys. (Runs off not knowing Chip was in his pocket)

Amy: (Enters in) Well, Princess. I had doubts but everything is moving like clockwork.

Rouge: I let him go.

Amy: Yeah I know, co- What!? You- Why!?

Rouge: Because... I love him.

Later...

Sonic, Marine, Sticks, and Shadow: She did what?!

Amy: Apparently.

Marine: Aww, Strewth.

Sticks: But she was so close.

Sonic: And after all this time, she finally learned to love.

Sticks: That's it then! That should break the spell!

Shadow: Sticks, it isn't enough; he needs to love her in return.

Marine: (Leaves without anyone knowing)

Amy: Now, it's too late.

Meanwhile, Rouge was upset at what she did and worries that Knuckles wont return her feelings.

Rouge: I was the girl who had it all.

I was the queen of my fate.
I never needed anybody in my life.
I learned the truth too late.

I'll never shake away the pain.
I close my eyes, but he's still there.
I let him steal into my melancholy heart, it's more than I can bear.

(Sees Knuckles on Fawn going quick as he can to save his father and friends)

Now I know he'll never leave me even as he runs away; he will still torment me, calm me, hurt me, move me, come what may.
Wasting in my lonely tower, waiting by an open door.
I'll fool myself, he'll walk right in and be with me for evermore.

(Starts to feel hope that Knuckles will return her feelings)

I rage against the trials of love
I curse the fading of the light
Though he's already flown so far beyond my reach. he's never out of sight!

Now I know he'll never leave me even as he fades from view, he will still inspire me, be a part of everything I do!
Wasting in my lonely tower, waiting by an open door.
I'll fool myself, he'll walk right in and as the long, long nights begin; I'll think of all that might have been, waiting here for evermore!!

As the castle got farther from distance, Knuckles went off to find the boys.