Chapter 9

I opened my eyes to see white walls. There were many people scurrying around, and I saw no one that I actually recognized. Blinking, I tried to sit up, but I got a terrible pain in my stomach. I screamed. That caught many people's attention. About ten people in white clothing came over.

"She's awake? I thought one person was supposed to be by her."

"I thought that was your job!"

"Somebody go get Dr. Park!"

With loud noises ringing, I soon found a lady in front of me. I softly blinked at her, and she smiled.

"Are you feeling better, Megan?" How did she know who I was? I thought to myself. The only thing I could do was blink. She stared at me seriously for one moment, and then left the cot speaking to other nurses.

"Megan, why don't I lead you to some other rooms?" I allowed her to help me get up from the cot.

After some tests, the results were out. I was told to stay outside with Janice while my mother listened to the doctor speak.

"You sure you're okay now, Megan?" My sister questioned me. I nodded, staring at all the other patients in the room. It was nauseous to be around in such a white place. It was like color never existed.

"Yeah....I think so...." I answered her. I didn't look at her. I didn't need her to share my worries. My life was so complicated as it is. My sister looked at me doubtfully, but I didn't turn towards her.

"Megan, if you have any troubles, you should share them with me. I'm here for that reason." I teared up. My life....it was all so broken. My sister was like my mom. My mother was barely around because she worked overtime to collect bills and help out. My father ran away with green bills when I was four. My brother was....ill. I held my head. "Megan? You sure you're okay?" I looked up and smiled at her, which reassured her that everything was fine. When it wasn't. I had started taking therapy in sixth grade, which was when everything had gone in twists. My mother believed that I had issues, which was not true. It was just what she thought because of what happened to William.

"Girls, let's go home." My mother had come out from the office. We clung on to her, anticipating her reply. She didn't look at either of us and shook us off. Well, shook Janice off. She looked at me and smiled. "Why don't we get some ice cream on the way home, Megan?" Janice slightly frowned at the special treatment I was getting. For fear of Janice hating me, I shook my head. My mother bit her lip. "Alright. We can just head home then."

The car ride home was silent. All you could hear was the wind blowing. I sighed and leaned against the car door. Almost immediately, my mother reacted to this.

"Megan! Leaning on the car door is dangerous and-" She stopped. She wasn't cut off, or anything like that. She just stopped, like a deer in headlights. I was confused. My mother was never like this. It was so unlike her that it was spooky. I shrugged off the feeling and sat quietly in the car, being careful not to lean on the car door. 

As soon as we arrived home, I was sent to my room while my mother and Janice spoke. Of course, I did not want to be left out of the conversation, so I peeked over my door.

"What did Dr. Park say, mom?" Janice asked. My mother sighed. That was not a good sign. It was never a good sign.

"She has depression, Janice. My daughter has depression!" Sobbing, my mother flung herself onto the floor.

"Mom!" Janice cried and tried to help her stand up. I wanted to go help. But I couldn't. Depression? Me? I kept thinking over and over again. That couldn't be true. That couldn't be right. I slid down, with my back to my bedroom door. I looked down and gulped. Depression. If I had one wish, it'd be to have my brother back at home. But he couldn't come. No matter how much I wished, no matter how much I hoped. Things just didn't work that day.

"It'll be okay," I kept repeating to myself. Although the words were there, it did not go in my brain. It lingered right outside my ear. "It'll be okay."