17

I walked with Fred and George to Platform 9 ¾ the following day, giddy with excitement.

Their family followed closely behind us – their parents, Molly and Arthur, their younger siblings Ron and Ginny – as well as Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, who I had come to realise was the girl I'd seen chasing after the cat.

Molly had been exceedingly pleasant when George introduced us, smiling widely and calling me 'dear'. Arthur had been kind, as well, although I caught his eyes lingering on the Slytherin insignia on my jumper from time to time.

Fred and George fell into bickering about something I hadn't been paying attention to, so I fell back to walk with Ginny and Hermione.

"Think you'll try out for the Quidditch team like your brothers?" I asked Ginny, who seemed surprised that I was speaking to her.

"I imagine I will, yeah." Her voice was polite. "Although I don't know how many openings there will be on the team this year, since Wood was the only one to leave Hogwarts last year."

I took in that information with some surprise, realising it to be true. Gryffindor would no doubt be a formidable team this year. "No interest in being a Keeper, then?"

"No." She gave a small laugh. "None at all."

My eyes met Hermione's; she seemed as if she were about to burst with a question. I raised my eyebrows, prompting her to ask.

"George told me about the protection spell you put on the scarf you gave him," she explained breathlessly. "Do you think you could teach me the spell you used? I've been reading every book I own and can't seem to find anything quite like it."

"Oh, I don't know if you'll find it in those books," I mused. "It's a spell my dad taught me when I was little. But I can try and teach you, if you'd like."

Hermione's face brightened, and she nodded furiously. "Yes, thank you! I couldn't believe I'd never heard of a protection spell that could ward off any hex."

"It's not a perfect spell," I admitted. "It has its limits. But I figured it would be strong enough to block anything students had learned at school."

We slowed as we reached the pillar between stations nine and ten. Fred and George passed through the wall first, then Ginny, then Hermione, and I followed next.

In a heartbeat I was standing on Platform 9 ¾, the Hogwarts Express spitting steam into the air and families crowded around, bidding farewell to the students boarding the train.

Scanning the crowd, I quickly located Miles, who now stood a full head above almost everyone else, and made my way towards him. He stood with his parents, looking impatient as they said their goodbyes. His face lit up as he spotted me, though, and he pulled away from his mum's embrace to greet me.

"Hello," I nodded to the Bletchleys, receiving a smile and a nod from each of them in return. I let out a laugh as Miles hugged me tightly, pulling me off my feet. "Miles! Put me down!"

He put me down, then, but kept his wide grin, which I returned.

"Have you seen any of the others?" I glanced around in the hopes of spotting any of our teammates.

"Bole and Derrick are already on the train." He had to speak loudly to be heard. "They're saving us spots in their compartment."

I nodded excitedly, reaching up to ruffle Miles's dark curls and bidding farewell to the Bletchleys before fighting my way through the crowd to the train's open doors.

The inside of the train was much quieter, a few compartments beginning to fill up but most students still out on the platform. I moved down the corridor, glancing in each compartment I passed.