64

I waited a couple of days to travel to the address Minerva had given me. Then I took my Firebolt and flew through the night, jetting over the quiet English countryside until I'd reached the small town, landing somewhat nervously in front of the house.

It had been bewitched to look as if it were nothing more than an empty shack, some of its wooden slats loose or missing, and for a moment, I wondered if I'd been giving the wrong address. But I knocked anyway, shivering violently.

Ted Tonks answered the door, looking rather alarmed to see me, the house behind him confirming my suspicions of a cloaking charm on the structure.

"Ted, it's me!" I said in a low voice, my teeth chattering. "Remember? I was at their wedding."

Realisation dawned on his face, and he stepped aside to allow me to enter.

"Minerva gave me this address," I explained, casting a glance around the house and leaning my broom in the corner. "Is Remus here, by chance?"

"I thought I heard your voice." Remus appeared in the doorway to my left, wearing a wry smile.

I grinned and gave him a tight hug. "So glad I found you."

"Did you fly here? You look positively frozen," said Tonks, appearing behind Remus.

"I did," I laughed. "Not my brightest idea."

Then I caught sight of her pregnant belly, and let out a gasp of delight. "When are you due?"

"Not soon enough," Tonks said with a wry smile. "Come have some tea while you thaw."

I followed her into the kitchen, grasping Remus's forearm with genuine glee. "A baby Lupin! I'm so excited for you!"

"Thank you, love," said Tonks warmly. "Do you take sugar?"

"Please." I rubbed my hands together to warm them.

Remus lit a fire in the fireplace, and I settled in front of it gratefully, letting out a sigh as I felt the warmth seep into my bones.

"I'm sorry I haven't been in contact since the wedding," he said quietly, sitting next to me. "We haven't figured out a new headquarters for the Order, and with the Ministry under Death Eater control there are nearly no ways to reach anyone. Everything's under surveillance these days."

I shook my head to dismiss his apology. "I know. But I think I know a place we can meet."

I accepted a cup of tea from Tonks with a smile and explained my idea to Remus.

"We can put it under the same protection spells as this house. It's about three times the size and it's fairly secluded."

Remus exchanged a glance with Tonks. "I think it could work."

"Do either of you know anything about the sword of Gryffindor?" I asked then, changing the subject.

"I know it's what Harry used to kill the basilisk in his second year," Tonks said. "But otherwise, not much, no."

"The sword was last known to be in Dumbledore's possession, but disappeared shortly after his death. Why do you ask?" said Remus.

I recounted my story about the horcruxes for what felt like the tenth time. "We need to help Harry find it so he can destroy the rest of the horcruxes, however many there are."

"No one's seen the sword as of late," said Remus. "I'm afraid we can't help him find it if we ourselves don't know where it is."

My foot tapped impatiently. "Then how else can we help him? He's only seventeen, he can't do this all on his own."