33

That night, I snuck out of the common room and up to the Astronomy Tower, leaning against the railing with my eyes fixed on the starry night sky.

I had sent a note to George asking him to meet me, folding it into the shape of an owl and charming it to fly to his dormitory, but I had no way of knowing if he'd received it, or if he'd even come. I hadn't signed it, for fear that someone else might read it, but he knew my handwriting, and I hoped he'd decide to meet me.

Not that I could blame him if he decided not to; I felt positively horrible about what I'd said to him earlier, during the fight on the Quidditch pitch, and I couldn't stop seeing the hurt on his face once I'd said it. A sick feeling sat in the bottom of my stomach, wondering if I'd taken things too far.

"Hiya." A quiet voice made me start, and I turned to see George standing somewhat sheepishly behind me, his lip busted from the fight.

"You scared me." I tried a smile, but didn't quite make it.

"Sorry," he said softly, looking down at his shoes.

"No, George, I'm sorry," I said, taking a step towards him. "I was cruel to you earlier, an absolute hag. And to Harry, and Fred, too, I just—"

"It's alright, Doylie." He took my hand in his. "I know you didn't mean it."

"I didn't, of course I didn't, but I—" I cursed myself for getting so emotional, feeling my eyes sting with tears. "The look on your face—"

George shook his head quickly. "You caught me off guard is all."

I felt a tear slip down my cheek, and I closed the gap between us, crushing George in a tight hug. "I'm so sorry."

George laughed, the sound vibrating through our embrace. "Honestly, Doylie, I was more hurt by the fact that you were the one who body-slammed me. By the feel of it I assumed it was Bletchley or Goyle, not you."

I laughed through my tears. "You almost flattened me, if it makes you feel better."

"It doesn't!" George cried. "I just can't believe I got absolutely tossed by my girlfriend."

We dissolved into laughter.

"Is Fred mad at me?" I asked once we'd recovered.

"At you? Not at all." George paused. "At Malfoy? Let's just say that Greasy should keep his distance for a while."

I nodded, feeling a trill of relief. "Fred almost got into it with Miles at the end there, once you'd gone."

"Emotions were running high," said George, unsurprised. "Although that fight might have been fun to watch."

I shook my head at him, unable to keep the slight smile off of my face. "They'd kill each other."

George snorted. "Not if you were there to toss them around for misbehaving."

I giggled, leaning my forehead on his chest. "I throw you one time..."

George echoed my laughter, then took my face in his hands and pressed a kiss to my forehead. He ran his thumb lightly over my blackened eye, his warm brown gaze tracing over the damage. "I've some cream back in my trunk that should help with the bruising."

"It's alright, I've had worse." 

"I know," he said, shaking his head at me. "Where do you think we got the idea for the cream from?"

My eyebrows shot up. "You mean I'm your muse?"

George laughed again. "Something like that, yeah."