27

We sat in the Great Hall, the entire student body silent.

Cedric Diggory was dead.

I stared sightlessly at the floor, still in shock. He was dead. Gone.

Once George had uttered the words, I could hear Harry's shouting from the center of the arena, that the Dark Lord had returned and killed Cedric. At the time, I hadn't been quite able to grasp just what that meant, the news of Cedric's death clutching at my heart like a cold hand.

I felt numb.

Everything that had happened this year—being upset about Quidditch, the quarrels over which Hogwarts champion to support, worrying about finishing homework assignments, the arguments about the Yule ball, stressing about finding a dress—it all seemed so trivial now. So ridiculously unimportant.

I caught sight of some of the students at the Hufflepuff table crying quietly. A lump formed in my throat, unable to imagine their pain of losing a friend and classmate, a young man with so much life still ahead of him.

Harry sat at the Gryffindor table between Ron and Hermione, staring sightlessly at the floor. If it was true, if the Dark Lord had returned and murdered Cedric while Harry was forced to watch—what he was feeling must've been beyond words.

* * * * * *

The school year finished quietly. As I packed my trunk, I felt a deep sense of longing to stay.

The Beauxbaton and Durmstrang students had left the previous day. I hadn't made the trip down to watch them go; the effects of Cedric's death were lingering, and I didn't have it in me to leave my dormitory. 

Neither did Catarina, who sat on her bed, staring at nothing with reddened eyes—she and Cedric had been close friends. I sat with her in silence, unsure of what to say but handing her tissues every once in a while. She did not speak, only gave me halfhearted nods of thanks.

When at last the day came to return home, I trudged down the stairs and through the Slytherin common room. Annie sat alone at the long table, staring into space. I gave her shoulder a squeeze, and she forced a smile in response.

Jamie had been crying all day, the realisation finally hitting her that Lucian was leaving Hogwarts and wouldn't be returning next year. I found her sitting in an armchair in front of the fireplace, her eyes red and puffy, a tissue clutched in her fist. Wordlessly, I offered my hand to her, and she took it with a sniffle, allowing me to pull her out of the common room and to where the students met for the final trip to the train station in Hogsmeade.

Fred and George caught up with us as we walked.

"How're you feeling?" George asked quietly, lacing his fingers through mine.

"I'm okay." I tried a smile but didn't quite make it.

"Do you think it's true?" Jamie asked, speaking for the first time that day. "Do you think You-Know-Who has returned?"

"I dunno," Fred muttered. "Harry's not one to make things up like that."

I felt a shiver run down my spine. George smoothed his thumb across the back of my hand.

Jamie caught sight of Lucian, then, who stood with Miles, and raced towards him, throwing herself into his arms with fresh tears running down her face. 

Fred, George, and I watched them wearily, and I met Miles's tired gaze. He offered me a halfhearted smile that I did not return.

Fred gave me a quick hug and departed to find Lee and board the train, and I turned to George.