18

A heavy fog had set in around Hogsmeade as we reached the station.

I stepped off into the cool night air, pulling my robes a little tighter around me to suppress a shiver. I was swept up in the crowd as the returning students made their way to where the horseless coaches picked us up and took us up to the castle.

Jamie grabbed my wrist to keep me from being lost in the crowd, pulling me into a coach with the same group that been in our compartment on the train. Peregrine eyed me a little nervously, obviously still put-off by my previous behaviour, but the others seemed to have forgotten it and moved on.

"It's going to be strange without Flint and Montague this year," Miles remarked, and I nodded in agreement; the older boys' absences were already noticeable, and I missed them both terribly.

* * * * * *

We were met by the usual buzz of excitement as we entered the Great Hall and settled at our tables, and I felt a wave of giddiness wash over me; it was so good to be home.

The sorting of first-years began, and Lucian and I began to pick surreptitiously at the feast, our stomachs rumbling loud enough for the Ravenclaws to hear at the next table over. At last, the final first-year was sorted, and we tore into the feast with the savagery of wild animals, Jamie watching the both of us with disgust. I needed to remember to eat on the train next year.

When at last we were satiated, Dumbledore stood, and the Hall fell silent.

"As ever, I would like to remind you that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year.

"It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

"What?" I gasped. Next to me, Lucian's mouth fell open, a piece of pudding falling out and landing in his lap.

My gaze met George's across the hall; his expression mirrored my own dismay.

"But that means..." Lucian's voice was weak, and I looked to him with wide eyes.

"You and Peregrine won't have any more matches at Hogwarts!" It hurt to say it out loud. Not only had we lost Graham and Marcus, but the next match we played would also be without Lucian and Peregrine. We'd have an almost entirely-new team, only Draco, Miles, and myself remaining of the original team.

Tears gathered in my eyes, and Dumbledore's following words were muted to my ears. This was a nightmare. When I tuned back in, the Hall was abuzz with excitement.

"I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts we have the honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century. The Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

A hush fell over the hall. I exchanged a confused glance with Miles.

"You're joking!" Fred's voice echoed through the silence, and suddenly the hall was aroar with laughter.

"No, Mr. Weasley, I am not joking," Dumbledore chuckled.

I glanced across at the twins. Fred was grinning widely at being the center of attention, George laughing next to him.

"The Triwizard Tournament is comprised of three dangerous tasks, which will be posed to three different champions from three different schools. Which, as you may have pieced together, means that this year we will be playing host to two most prestigious schools whose students will compete alongside you. The winner of the three tasks will receive three things: the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a prize of one thousand galleons."