24: Nine Hours

Youth – Daughter <3 omg this song *moment silence* so beautiful...

______________________________________

The words hung in the bitter cold air.

Her heart was racing, almost unhealthily pounding, against her ribcage. 

And by the look in his dark, frightening eyes he knew he could hear it.

The look on his face, the black eyes, the veins, the fangs... It must be a dream.

This can't be real.

His hand dropped from her cheek and she inhaled a shaky breath. She lifted her hand to his face slowly, vigilantly, and skimmed a finger over a vein underneath his eye. It throbbed.

She pulled her hand away as if she were scalded. His face slowly retuned back to normal and she blinked at the sudden change.

"Amy..." He stepped forward but she held up a hand and leaned back. The hurt on his face had her heart clenching but...

She couldn't bring herself to... Comfort or reassure him. 

Her head was spinning like crazy. Her breathing was erratic... She was... scared. 

"Please, Amy-"

She shook her head not trusting herself to speak. 

"I don't want to lose you."

His voice was thick, and she could see the pain in his eyes.

Amy didn't ever think that something like this could ever happen. Something so... Unreal could happen. 

"Please..."

'I love you, Amy...'

"I would never hurt you."

Vampire...

"Look at me."

She did. She looked directly at him. His eyes were back to its original hazel, the quiver to his upper lip had her wishing she could take everything back, not accuse him of lying. Although technically he hadn't been lying but he hadn't told the whole truth. 

"You're a vampire." She felt she had to say it out loud. She felt silly for saying it though. Vampires existed in books, fairy tales, myths.... TV programmes for goodness sake.

He only nodded and once again it hit her. The only reason it kept hitting her was because she was in slight denial. She found it impossible. She found the thought of mythical beings such as vampires utterly... Preposterous. 

She felt completely numb. A vampire. Heartless killers. 

But even as she looked upon his sad broken face she couldn't bring herself to... Hate him. Or even think about him as a killer. His eyes were as sincere as they came as he gazed at her; his jaw clenching and unclenching as if stopping himself from crying. John was not heartless. He loved her.

He loved her. And she... She still loved him.

But the words, any words really, wouldn't leave her mouth. She knew what she looked like to him. A deer caught in headlights; wide eyes, pale skin, shaking hands...

John tried to slowly step forward again but for some reason, as if a reflex, she stepped back again.

He dipped his head and she felt like an utter moron for moving away.

You moved because he's a predator, a voice whispered at the back of her mind but she ignored it as she prepared herself to speak.

Her lips parted after swallowing the lump in her throat but he beat her to it.