Letters

Hello Lovely Readers. Suicide referenced. Please prepare yourself for an emotional roller-coaster in this chapter. :)

Chapter 28 - Scott's POV

There it is. I can't contain my grin as I picked up the photograph and refresh my memory. It's perfect, even more than I remembered. 'Wow, we look so young!'

Mitch blushed. I wonder what he's been saying to Mom and Dee. It must have been really great because what Mom whispers in my ear means everything. That she gets it this quickly. That she understands that Mitch is everything is I guess a great big step towards understanding me better and that she can accept that I love a guy is just.... 'Woah, I love you so much Mom!' I said how I felt out loud. "I'm crazy about him."

Mitch told me he was crazy about me too! God I really want to tell him I love him. But it's too soon... isn't it?

Connie broke the silence. "Mitch was telling us how he let you go so that you could live your dreams."

At Mitch's nod, she looked at me and made a frown. "But it wasn't your dream was it Sweetheart?"

"Don't over think things Mom." I said. "Music is my thing, singing or performing with the orchestra, everything led me here again and back to this thing I'm starting now. It might have taken Mitch and me a while to find each other again, but we have and that's what matters."

She gave a teary smile. "We just wanted what was best for you Sweetheart."

"I know Mom." I pulled her up into my arms and hugged her. Dee started crying and Mitch got teary too. "It's going to be OK. We're going to get to know each other again, just like Mitch and I are too. Whatever happens, we're beginning from the start again and this time I'm going to be honest. I love you Mom."

Everyone was in tears and group hugging when the waitress came up to the table with the drinks. We hastily wiped eyes, straightened clothes and sat down so she could put our order on the table.

"It's all right Dear," Mom said. "Family, you know how it is." Family, funny how one word when applied to people who are not born into your family but who you love and have added to the list of the most important people in your life can make you feel.

I smiled at Mitch and repeated "Family." While he looked at me. He smiled back and sipped his coffee.

..............................

At the factory, Richard contacted Avi to find out if there was any news, only to hang up disappointed. The Sheriff had no idea where he was and while the bolo had turned up some possible sightings, the car was yet to be located. The new deputies were door-knocking the usual suspects and there were plans in place for more patrols that night. Nothing however to indicate that the danger would be over soon.

.............................

At the trailer, Wendell and Miles woke up hungry. At least there were snacks. They might be close to being totally out where drugs were concerned, but they could at least fee the munchies. Miles's mood hadn't improved. He was still out for blood, Wendell was still happy to tag along. Joey was at his girlfriend's and had sent them a text letting them know he'd get there soon after mid-day.

No one could have foreseen how quickly things would escalate. Or what the trigger would be.

.................................

At the resonating word 'family' in my head, I knew it was time to lay my cards on the table. If Mitch was going to stick by me during this chaotic time, stick by me and my family that meant he deserved to be included in that word. Because I really wanted him to be my family.