It's Ready!

Chapter 15 - Scott's POV

Dad came home a bit tired, but happy that the quota requirements and Government filings had been completed. The first quota was getting close to being finished for the year. Once that happened, the staffing levels would be cut back and most would take vacation time before the next quota started. Others would be kept on for dealing with the remaining frozen product and pet food quotas that were quite a bit smaller. It was enough to keep on a small staff, mostly locals with the seasonal workers moving with the industry further down the coast.

He had a glass of wine with dinner so Mom knew he'd had a big day. It was a small indulgence he enjoyed when he'd managed to get paperwork completed. It also made him more chatty and he and Mom entertained my friends with local colour and childhood stories before heading up to bed. Nigel, Roxie and I stopped in to see Dee. She asked them what they wanted for lunch tomorrow and when that was settled, told us to enjoy our evening. As Roxie and Nigel headed out to their van, she pulled me aside and asked me what was wrong.

"Mitch had a really big day, he's exhausted and might not make it out tonight." I shrugged. "I know he's tired, I just want to see his face."

Dee smiled and said "Don't worry Scotty, I'm sure he really wants to see yours too. Just don't get your hopes up too high. I know what a big day means. He's probably sore all over, not just tired. I'll give you something I used to use on my husband when he worked there, before he passed. He'd feel better in no time. Even if it's tomorrow you see him and give it to him." She went over to the first aid cupboard and pulled out a jar with a screw top lid. "It's all natural, my friend Charlotte makes it, and you use it like a liniment."

"Thanks Dee." He saw the van's rear lights pulling out. "I'd better go."

I walked into Stacey's and grabbed a table. When Nigel and Roxie arrived after dropping the van off and walking back, we ordered a round of drinks. Roxie noticed the Karaoke set up and asked if the bar did a regular night. "Yeah, Saturday nights are the usual Karaoke night. There are some really great singers in town. I met some on Saturday and they're partly why I wanted to get the set up done here. I'm going to get them excited about making a demo. We could have a great sound, and there is nothing like them on the scene at the moment."

"We?" Roxie smiled. She'd noticed my slip.

"I feel like I could add something, but I don't want to ram myself down their throats. I just want to see where things evolve. If they want to collaborate I'll be delighted. But I'm not expecting anything in the short term. I guess I'm not coming back for a while anyway."

"We knew that as soon as you asked me to get the studio equipment together." Nigel said. "Didn't we Roxie?"

"Yep, sure did Stud!" She raised her eyebrows up and down and asked "Who are you checking the door for every 5 seconds Scotty?"

"Roxie!" I exclaimed. Sometimes she was so inappropriate. "It's nothing, I was just hoping one of those friends I mentioned was going to be coming out tonight. It was a big day at the factory so maybe, maybe not." I replied.

"Oohh, a friend." She air-quoted. "Boyfriend or girlfriend Scotty?" She smirked at me.

"His name's Mitch, and we're not going steady, we're just friends."

She shook her head in exasperation at me then smiled while Nigel pulled out his wallet and gave her $100.

"Really?"

"A bet's a bet Scott & she won." Nigel shrugged.

My face suddenly lit up as I saw a certain person walk through the door.