Lost and Found

Chapter 7

Mitch's POV

I can't believe I'm sitting here having coffee with Scott/Rick. He's changed a bit since I last saw him. I can tell you it's in all the right ways. He obviously goes to the gym, that's not the best thing about him though. Honestly, last time I saw him, he was so young and innocent looking. Like he had absolutely no idea about anything. The expression on his face when I kissed him that last day, priceless. But now, he's grown into a gorgeous man. His face has some age and experience on it, he's grown into it and the fuzz, the gelled hair, the sexy side grin, the cute uncertain glances he was shooting my way. Aarrgh I just want to bite that bottom lip. I nearly did once.

I remember the last summer as Scott digresses into orchestra stuff.

I sat at the jetty, eagerly waiting for Rick to turn up. I hoped he was going to come again this summer. I had been thinking about him all year in school. I had been bullied mercilessly by three jocks who were two years ahead of me in school. They never called me names, I don't think anyone at that school knew I was gay. I didn't come out until I was 19, so maybe it was because I was small, got good grades and was a bit flamboyant.

I loved the performing arts and music and was in the choir. Also I had a pretty high voice and I guess some of them might have been homophobes and were trying to beat the flamboyance out of me. Those three had made my life hell. The only people at the school that had made it worth staying were Kirstie, Avi and Kevin. We were in choir together, Avi and Kevin were a year ahead but the school was too small for more than one. We didn't have a glee club or anything but the marching band was another place kids like me could excel.

Swirlies, being stuffed into lockers, wedgies, weird things being shoved through the slots in my locker, were all things I was familiar with. These I could deal with and shrugged off like it didn't matter. Because it didn't. Those assholes could kiss mine. As long as I had my friends, I could handle anything. It was the physical violence that I had issue with. The school counsellor was a wet, mousy, timid woman who did a fabulous job with the kids who knew where they were going and what they wanted to get out of their education.

For kids like me who were maybe not as gifted academically, and had trouble dealing with bullies, she was useless. So was the Principal. All they cared about was keeping the nerdy students happy so their grade points stayed where they were supposed to. That and the football team. Because my three tormentors were all on the football team, I was shit out of luck with any kind of help. Mum and Dad went in and jumped up and down when I started coming home with bruises and black eyes. Principal Davis was apologetic, but I wouldn't tell their names so there was little he could do. I wasn't stupid, I knew if they got suspended or expelled, there would be hell to pay. Their parents would be at the head of the lynch mob. No one would defend me against anyone on the team.

So I put up with it. I started not to care about how I looked or felt. I gave up checking my appearance in the mirror and slouched to school and home again. Until I met Rick. The first time we came across each other at the beach I was struck by his sunny attitude. He was a rich kid obviously, but he wasn't stuck up or moody. He was the first non-school friend I made and we stuck like glue for the rest of the summer. He was ready to go after the bullies on my behalf, Wendell, Miles and Peter weren't expecting a good looking, confident rich kid sticking up for someone like me. So when he yelled at them to leave me alone they did!

He was kind of my saviour in more ways than one. If it hadn't been for him that day I might have stopped caring all together. I was starting to feel angry all the time, I wanted more than anything to rail against those freaks and do something terrible either to them or myself. Rick stopped me from feeling alone. Don't get me wrong, my school friends were awesome and kept my head in the game while at school. Out in the world, they weren't around during vacation because they all had jobs. I was a bit younger and my Dad didn't want me on the boat yet. He said I needed to get a few more pounds of muscle on my slight frame before he'd let me. I guess that made things easier and more fun for me, but also more of a target.