The Chase Part 2

The bumpy ride continues Lovely Readers. :)

Chapter 31 - Mitch's POV

Damn, I felt bad. My head was throbbing...

The interior of the car was lit by the occasional street light. But whenever one flashed by, the whole car seemed to lift off the asphalt spin around me in a 360º loop and then settle back onto the street before we kept driving to the factory. Every time it did that I wanted to throw up. But that would remind the crazy person in the front seat that I was there. I couldn't move, I could hardly breathe. The words that he was spouting hurt, like they were shards of ice, burrowing under my skin and numbing me yet burning me with their hate at the same time.

The black words, stole my courage.

I tried to tell myself it would be OK. But I couldn't get that grey, dead face out of my head. All I could do was think about my Mom and Scott, the guys and hope that I would see them again.

The car stopped and I felt him get out. He opened my door, reached down and dragged me out of the back seat. I decided to try to resist his demands any way I could. I led him the long way to the office. I put as much distance between us as possible. I made him work to keep me next to him. The longer I could delay, the more time there might be for someone to stop him.

I don't believe in fairy tales, but I would have given anything for a handsome, white knight to come riding up on his noble steed right about now...with killer blue eyes, gorgeous blonde spiked up hair, kissable lips..... 'Shit, watch where you're going Mitch.' I had got turned around with the darkened rooms and I nearly walked into the export side. Can't go in there in street wear. Not that it mattered much. I guess if anything really bad happens the whole place is going to be one big crime scene anyway.

"Where now?" Miles asked me.

"Up those stairs." I indicated the way up to the office where Mr Hoying worked. Miles forced me up the stairs and then pushed me to the side as he opened the door. Richard was there at the desk, looking at some papers. As Miles forced me inside the room, he looked up a puzzled expression on his face at our late night entrance.

"Miles, what are you doing here?" He asked. "The Sheriff is looking for you. You have some explaining to do."

"I'm here to get rid of the competition." Miles said, with a determined expression.

"I beg your pardon." Richard replied with a CEO's tone.

"You've had your turn, it's my turn now. You can't have her anymore." Miles spouted.

"Have who? Who are you talking about??? Connie?" Richard asked, slowly rising out of his chair. He was the owner of a large company, had hundreds of employees and knew how to handle a disgruntled one. But he didn't know how to handle a homicidal one.

"Connie's mine now. You're just going to have to disappear."

Richard's face changed from puzzled to alarm when Miles pulled the knife from the waistband of his pants. He flashed it at Richard's face. Richard swallowed as the sight of the knife, but what was more worrisome to him was that the blade was no longer shiny, it was dull and streaked with blood...

"What did you do Miles?" Richard asked.

"Nothing you need to worry about anymore ex-Mr Hoying." Miles said with a half-smile and started towards Richard.

I stuck my foot out, and managed to trip Miles over. Richard moved quickly around the desk and grabbed my arm then pulled me out of the office, while Miles clawed at the carpet and spewed obscenities as he struggled to rise again.