Discussions

Chapter 12 - Scott's POV

I ran inside and upstairs to my room, flopped on the bed and texted Mitch. 'Can't meet for dinner, the folks have asked some friends around they want me to schmooze. :('

He sent back,' :( Me sad.'

My reply, 'Me too :P Text you later?'

'Ring me, I want to hear your voice before I go to sleep.'

Oh boy! 'Sure thing!'

I smiled and called Nigel. "Hey man, did you have any luck looking into the equipment I asked about?"

Nigel responded positively, he had sourced all the equipment I would need including microphones, the best Apollo Twin audio interface, speakers with stands and sound proofing materials. I had already got Janene to purchase me a clean 'Mac' laptop, and a large external hard drive. The Digital Audio Workstation software was state of the art and Nigel had the best Dynaudio Monitors he could get. He had also got me headphones and cables and stands for the microphones and music sheets. Basically a whole complete kit out, based on the dimensions of the room I wanted to set up in. I didn't even blink when he said the cost.

I just gave him the OK to pack it and come over with it so he could help me set it up. He'd bring Roxie his girlfriend and I knew I would be responsible for putting them up at the hotel as well as travelling costs. All fine by me as long as everything went smoothly and I could set up ASAP. At those words, he said he could be on the road by midmorning tomorrow. I told him the sooner he got here, the sooner we could start drinking at the bar, as long as we were sober enough in the morning to get the equipment set up.

I rang the hotel on the foreshore and got the Honeymoon Suite for Nigel and Roxie. They could live a little while they were over here helping me out.

Then I rang Janene and got her to FedEx the laptop to me and the extra stuff from my apartment. When I'd contacted her before about making the stay a bit longer than initially anticipated, I promised I'd email her a list. She'd gone over that very night to my place to start packing more clothes and some additional personal items for my stay. I knew Sean was the reason, but I couldn't help but laugh at her enthusiasm for my additional time off. It was awesome having people in the right places for this sort of thing.

I went online and got a few extras just for fun FedEx'd and then went downstairs to talk to Dee about the rest of the project.

In the Library, my parents were having a heart to heart.

........................

Connie said "Oh My God." and sat down in one of the armchairs in front of Richard's Desk. She opened her mouth and closed it again, then repeated it, but nothing came out.

"So he hasn't 'come out' to you?" He asked.

"No Darling, the thought never even crossed my mind. I was thinking about asking Sheila if Michelle was around to accompany her to dinner tonight. I never thought about that possibility." She replied.

"We had a discussion today that's made me consider the possibility. That and the fact that our adult son has never once mentioned a girl he was interested in. He's been raised the right way, been to all the right schools. His career has been exceptional so far and the new direction he's leaning towards could also open new doors in his current field. It's not out of the scope of possibility that his career surpasses even your sisters. However we've seen him so infrequently the past three years I can't remember a girlfriend ever having been mentioned, even in passing." He paused.

He's the right age to be thinking about marriage. He has good role models and parents who love him, if he was straight wouldn't he have discussed wanting to find a wife before now?"

Connie replayed the last times she had brought a girlfriend up in conversation and realized Scott usually changed the subject or deflected her attention to something else. "You're right. He's never brought up girls. I've never heard him mention anyone in particular that he fancied. I guess I always thought he just hadn't met the right one. I never considered he might have found someone but might not be prepared to talk to us about her because her might be a him. We've been supportive of his career and education because he chose to follow the path we laid out for him. Did we really consider his feelings in the matter or our own convictions that it was the perfect route for him to take?"

Scott's parents started to consider things they had never thought about before and their own short comings in the relationship that they had with their son. Especially if he was gay and didn't feel like he could come out, ask for support or discuss his true wishes or desires for the future with them.

..............................

Scott and Dee discussed the pool house conversion in the kitchen totally oblivious to the conversation going on in the Library.

"So you basically need a bigger bed. You're sure you've stopped getting taller Scotty?" Dee grinned.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"OK Sweetheart. Just kidding. So bedding, a new fridge, microwave, bathroom supplies, towels. Basically everything for a new apartment. Colour scheme?"

"Earth tones, don't worry about paint or anything. The cream walls are fine. Some neutral cushions and a nice comfy throw for the sofa would be great too."

"Do you want any colours for contrast or just for me to stick to the basics?"

"I've got Janene sending me some things for inspiration so stick to the basics for now. I'll probably hang up a few pictures so the prints over there will need to go. When I get a print up that I like, I'll know what pops with it and go from there."

"OK Sweetheart," she nodded reassuringly. "Leave it with me. I know just the sort of thing to get. Did your Father specify a budget?"

"He said within reason, but I want it to be comfortable. So let me know what reasonable is and I'll put in the difference for comfortable. I only have one requirement that is non-negotiable and that's the bed. It has to fit obviously, but the biggest possible for the size of the room. I don't care if there's only a bed and a night table with a light in there. I'll use one of the other rooms as a dressing room. The pool house gear, bathing gear and other stuff can all go in the small end room. That leaves four other rooms plus the bathroom. Living area and kitchenette stay as before, bedroom, studio and dressing room. It has a big closet in it, doesn't it?"

"OK, yes, no problem and the closet is pretty big. I'll talk to Georgette about the Manchester before dinner. We can go shopping in the morning for something for the kitchen." She said, smiling.

"Thanks Dee!"

Scott went upstairs to get changed for dinner.