Chapter 33: I'm Sorry

Levi's POV

"Wait, why am I being assigned there?!" I began to rant to the chief about my sudden placement to the courthouse. "That's not my job and-"

Keith, my chief, sighed and shook his head. "Ackerman, one of the officers there couldn't make it today. It's just for today. And please, accept it and I'll grant you a slight extra payment for it. It's all be arrange to whoever gets the post. Plus, apparently all the other guys are stepping away- considering I said there's extra pay."

The courthouse has been many nightmares for some and a dream to others. Majority of the kids at the orphanage went through there- especially Eren. I never went there, but Farlan did. No wait, I probably did go there. When my uncle gave up his custody of me... we went there. Ugh, never mind that. Hanji's ex is most likely going to be there with one of his cases.

"I'm begging you, Ackerman."

Should I even blame Erwin now? I mean, he's not being some idiotic guy anymore... he's been nicer. But I never allowed him near my twins... so I- "Fine, I'll go there right now."

With a heavy sigh of relief, Keith smiled. "Thanks. I'll organize the extra pay for your next paycheck."

"Yeah, yeah, I got it. What am I supposed to do there now?" 

"Patrolling. That's it. Walk around, eat some food, stay out of the way, just patrol the area. No harm, right? At least, I hope so... it is the courthouse where some criminals are dealt- I know you already accepted, but you don't mind it, huh? Catching runaways?"

"It's a dream," I rolled my eyes and slightly groaning. "I'm heading out now."

"Come down here before you leave work, okay? Just so I can help file some paperwork. Please and thank you." Courthouse, here I come...

*   *   *

Scoffing softly, I first went inside to get myself some sort of hot water. I brought my own tea packets, knowing I wouldn't get my specific tea type in there. Hot water is all I can have admist their hot chocolate for young ones and coffee for the late ones. 

Just as I was getting hot water, I knew I was going to run into him sooner or later. Things can't just be... away forever. 

"Levi, right?" My eyes rolled when I heard him call my name. "You are Levi, right? The one with Hanji?"

I turned to him with nothing but a glare. "What about her?"

"She hasn't been answering my texts or calls lately- I wanted to check up on her and-"

"You may be just a friend to her, but you'll always be her ex. She's busy with our kids. I don't hide her away from her own personal life- but I will hide both her and the kids from you. So please, don't think you'll get me to change my mind." I began to walk away with my hot water in hand.

"Just... tell her I'm sorry."

"Excuse me?"

Erwin had this depressing look on his face, yet with such a kind smile. No wonder Hanji fell for this guy. He was charming at heart. Thankfully I'm not attracted to him. I'm immune to his charm. "Please tell Hanji that I'm sorry. I should've been there for her..."

"And what if I do tell her that? How is that going to make her feel?" I stepped closer to him with the intensity of my tone growing. "She was doing just fine without her. I don't want her to get hurt anymore. If I tell her that her ex is trying to talk to her-"

"So should I tell her or should you tell her about this little meeting?" Huh... that thing dawned on me. Erwin gave a weary smirk. "That's how she and I broke up... because you told me to either tell Hanji about me asking about you... or you would tell her. Now tell, will you tell Hanji that I'm sorry? Or should I do it myself?"

For a little while, I sighed. "I'll tell her. But whatever she feels afterwards lies on your shoulders. You wanted this." Then, I walked off. I didn't want to hide anything from Hanji- never anymore. Don't worry.. I'll make sure there's always a smile on your face, Hanji... always... even if it paints a bad name on me.