Chapter 16

Light fingers moved over my spine, drawing me out of sleep. I turned my head to find skin and I hummed quietly as the fingers continued to move. I shuffled closer to the warm body beside me and hooked my leg around one of his.

"Morning."

"Mmm, morning," I mumbled as the fingers on my back moved up to my neck and then to my cheek. I cracked my eyes open and gave Dimitri a small smile before purring as his fingers worked my scalp. He chuckled to himself and shifted his body so he came face to face with me. I let my eyes wanted over his face and down his neck, but I zoned in on the faint marks there.

"Pay no mind to that, I don't feel it."

I rolled my eyes and rolled over, burying my head under the pillow. Fuck! I thought that was a nightmare. Which means everything else wasn't either.

Dimitri rolled over me and put one hand beside my waist, leaning down and pressing his lips against my shoulder. The gesture made me relax slightly and I let out a sigh. At least he didn't think I was a monster. That kiss moved to the nape of my neck and brushed over my promise mark, making me shiver.

"Dimitri," I mumbled into the sheets.

"Hmm," he said resting his hand on my lower back, rubbing it in a circle.

"Do you think I'm a bad person? For what I did?"

Dimitri pulled on my shoulder and rolled me to face him, a gentle look on his face.

"No. You defended yourself. It was an accident. Please don't beat yourself up," he said. I nodded and looked up at him with a sigh. I was glad that he didn't think that even if I did. He stroked my cheek tenderly and I leaned into his touch with a smile. I was momentarily lost in his gaze before I remembered that we were expected.

"Oh, crap," I said sitting up, "We need to meet my dad for breakfast."

Dimitri groaned quietly and got up, turning to get close out of the dresser. I leaned back on the bed and used the moment to watch the muscles in his back move. It was slightly erotic and I needed to ignore those stirring feelings or I wouldn't be able to sit through breakfast.

I got up and pulled my shorts on, dreading the idea of having to go back into my room. Dimitri seemed to understand my internal dilemma and came over, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Your room has been cleaned. You can't tell anything happened," he consoled. I sighed and picked up my things walking to the door and waited for him. We headed to my room but I drug my feet, not wanting to go in. Dimitri put a hand on my shoulder and led me in, trying to comfort me as we went in.

My eyes wandered and Dimitri was right, the room had been cleaned and everything was put back where it needed to be. But being in here put a rock in my stomach. I was still shaken up but at the same time, I was pissed. At Howes and at myself. How could I have let that happen? What possessed him to stoop to that level?

I took a few steps in and headed to the dresser, pulling out what I needed before quickly heading to the bathroom to change. I ran a brush through my hair and put it up before venturing back out to find Dimitri sitting on the edge of my bed. He gave me a small smile and stood up to meet me halfway.

"Ready to go?"

I nodded as my stomach growled, making me crack up in a chuckle. The prospect of food made me practically drag Dimitri to where we needed to meet my dad, but he followed along knowing what would happen if he tried to keep me from food.

I rounded the corner and saw Lissa and Eddie sitting at one of the canopied tables and I hurried over, slipping into a seat next to Lissa. She gave me a puzzled look but slid me a glass filled with water. I raised my brow at her as I sipped my water.