Chapter 25

Hello hello! I updated a day early!

I want to thank HonestPassion13 for reviewing this chapter, and saving me from rewriting it...again!

Please let me know what you think, I love hearing your feedback!

Enjoy!

Backward and forwards. That's what my life has been like leading up to Christmas. The Belikovas wanted to celebrate Dimitri's birthday, but he wasn't up to that. He wasn't up for much outside interaction these days. He seemed to be more agitated and shorter-fused too, and sadly, I was on the receiving end, most times. Sometimes it felt like he was looking for a fight, like it was the only way he could feel anything but guilt.

I paced outside of the meeting room that Dimitri was currently in with Croft, and other members of the Guardian Council, and the members of the Royal Council. It was the final bout of questioning and he was reluctant to go, but he knew that he had to be there. He also knew that he needed to give the councils as much information as he could, going as far as naming those that had helped him from inside Court.

I was starting to feel like he wasn't going to get back to being the man he used to be. When we did speak, it was simple context, and when I brought things up from before, he was quick to shut the conversation down. It was strange though; the moment he was asleep he was drawn to me like a moth to a flame. And I selfishly enjoyed every moment of it. It was one of the only times in the last few days where I felt needed.

The doors opened and Dimitri stepped out with Guardian Croft. I stopped my pacing and smoothed my shirt down, coming closer to them. I stopped and gave Dimitri a calming look before looking to Croft.

"So? Good news? Bad news?"

"The councils have officially declared Dimitri a Dhampir. But there is a question about being reinstated as a Guardian," Croft explained, looking to Dimitri out of the corner of his eye. I looked to Dimitri and waited for him to give his input on the situation.

Dimitri finally met my eyes and sighed heavily. "Regardless of my reputation beforehand, the likelihood of me being reinstated as Lissa's Guardian is slim. Being assigned to a Moroi of any standing would be low. I'd be better off doing border patrol and generalized Court guarding out of the public eye," Dimitri said, tucking his hands into his pockets.

I bit my lip and moved a bit closer to him, reaching my hand out to touch him, but he moved out of my reach. I pulled my hand away and tucked it into my back pocket. Croft noticed but thankfully didn't say anything about it.

"Even with your ranking?" I asked, implying to his Blood Master ranking. Dimitri nodded his head and gritted his teeth. I sighed and wished there was something I could do to help the situation, but I had no influence amongst the Guardians. Maybe Mom could help?

The other members filed out of the room and Dimitri stepped aside, allowing them to pass. I stepped closer to Dimitri to give the others room to exit, but I could tell his mind was somewhere else. I looked at Croft and I could see that he noticed Dimitri's 'off' behaviour. Croft gestured for us to follow him to his office, whereto which we followed while Dimitri hung his head.

I sat in one of the chairs across from Croft's desk while Dimitri stood by the wall, assuming the position of a Guardian. Croft looked to me and I raised my brows to him, letting him take the lead. I didn't think I would be able to help him at this point.

"Belikov, you're here as a friend. Please, sit," Croft said in a tone I had never heard from him. Friendly. He was sincere, as well, as he gestured for Dimitri to sit, pulling out a bottle that was hidden in the back of his cabinet. Whiskey.