Chapter 10

Stress never helped with the nightmares, and tonight they were even worse. Even more than when the events were fresh in my mind. I sat up in my bed drenched in sweat to find the dresser knocked over. The falling of it must have been what woke me up from the dream. I looked over at the clock and saw that it was dead of night, but I knew that I wasn't going to be able to get back to sleep. I changed my soaked shirt and pulled on a pair of sneakers before sneaking out of my room and out to the roof entrance.

I jammed a stone between the door and the frame and walked out and sat down, dangling my legs over the edge. Now that it was June, I took every opportunity to soak up the hot sun. The worst part about this whole situation is that I would usually seek Dimitri out when the nightmares got really bad, but three weeks into the 'we're pretending we aren't together' bullshit and we were practically avoiding each other at all costs. It sucked more than having to pretend that we weren't together. And I missed him, horribly.

Lissa hadn't picked up on my change of mood which was great, but Eddie had kept asking me about it. I brushed him off and avoided the subject, but the questions were getting annoying. Hell, even Dad picked up on my change and the lack of Dimitri being present during our practices. I simply told Dad that Dimitri was taking up other shifts now that I was prepared enough for trails, but he didn't seem to believe it.

I leaned back on my hands and tilted my head up to the sun, soaking in the feeling of the heat on my face. It almost chased away the fear of the dreams and I started to feel calm again. I laid back and rested my hands over my stomach, closing my eyes and breathing slowly until I felt calm again.

I didn't know how long I was there for, but when a hand clamped down on my shoulder, my eyes shot open only to find Alberta standing above me. The sky behind her was dark.

"Christ Rose! How long have you been up here?" Alberta exclaimed, pulling me away from the edge. I blinked and stretched my neck, kicking myself for falling asleep on the gravel. I pulled myself to my feet and stretched my shoulders while Alberta talked into her radio, letting others know where she found me.

"What time is it?" I asked as I followed Alberta off the roof. Alberta turned and frowned at me before leading me towards my dorm.

"Rose, it's almost lunchtime."

Yikes. I slept for a really long time.

"Get ready and then head to class, Rose. I'd rather not have a reason to give you grief right before trials."

I nodded and slipped into my room and got ready, pulling my uniform on without putting on nylons and stuffing my feet into flats before hightailing it to the cafeteria to grab something quick to eat before classes.

I made it to my class as the final bell rang and I slid into my seat beside Lissa who pinned me in lace with her stare.

Where were you this morning?

I groaned and whispered, "I overslept."

Lissa raised her brows at me but didn't push the matter as the teacher stepped into the class. I kept my eyes forward but could feel a pair of eyes on my back. I turned slowly and looked over my shoulder to find Dimitri at the back of the class with three other Guardians. I met his eyes before quickly turning back to the front of the room, trying to focus on the class. But I couldn't. My mind was still replaying my nightmares in my head over and over again. It was like I couldn't get the loop to stop.

The class went quickly, thankfully, and I was up and out of my seat before Lissa had a chance to put her pencil down. I practically ran from the class to the gym for the other class and changed quickly. Maybe letting out some agitation on a heavy bag would help.