Chapter 18

I watched Dimitri get dressed and plotted ways to make him stay. I sat up just a bit and let the sheets drop to my hips, clearing my throat purposefully to make him look at me. He did and I watched his eyes wander over me hungrily, biting the corner of his lip as he tied his hair back.

"Do you really have to go? I could give you a much better workout," I purred, pulling the sheet further down with my toes. Dimitri stalked towards the bed, kneeling on it as he loomed over me. I hummed and arched my body towards him as he dipped his head down, catching my lips with his.

"I really do wish I could stay, but I need to go," he said trailing his fingers over my stomach. I pouted and perked up at the same time. "Can I come too? I know nobody that goes to the gym during the time I usually go. I could use a good workout buddy."

Dimitri smiled and nodded, pulling me up and out of the bed. Though he didn't let go right away, letting his hands wander down my back and squeezing my backside firmly. "But I think I can think of another time for that kind of exercise," he joked, pulling away so I could get dressed. I did so quickly, pulling on leggings and a tight fitted top and bra before pulling my hair up. I hopped on one foot while pulling the other on and then repeated, all while Dimitri watched in amusement.

He picked up my bag and handed it to me as we headed to the gym, and he told me about the dragging Guardian meeting he went to late last night. It sounded boring and I was slightly grateful that I didn't have to endure it. We got to the gym and it was packed so we set our things in a locker and set out for a run, hoping that the gym would be less busy.

I was too proud to admit that I wasn't running as much as I should have, but I was able to keep up with Dimitri well enough. Though he noticed my lack of competition. But it was nice to do something simple with him. It felt peaceful.

"You're still doing a self-defence lesson with Lissa this afternoon?" Dimitri asked as we slowed to stretch. I nodded and bent over, stretching my hamstrings. I stood up and walked back into the gym to find it less packed. Dimitri grabbed my arm and pulled me toward a free mat and went to grab a set of sparring gloves for us. I stretched a little more and grimace when I saw a few sets of eyes appraising me. Maybe I should have worn baggier clothes today?

Dimitri returned and tossed me a pair and I quickly put them on, making sure my hair was tied back properly.

"Don't punch me in the face this time," I cracked, smirking at him and getting into position. Dimitri gave me a small glare before getting into position to spar. It was a relatively even match this time, we were both able to tune out our surroundings completely as we moved. It was just like at the academy, moving like magnets. He punched; I dodge. I kicked, he spun out of the way. It went on for what felt like seconds but really could have been minutes. I finally found an opening and did something he wasn't going to expect. I slide between his legs and popped up behind him, jumping onto his back and using both his and my weight to topple us forward. As we did so, he tried to spin around, partly so he could brace himself but he did so in a way that wouldn't hurt me.

His back hit the mat and my fist slammed down over his chest, a triumphant smile on my face. "Dead!" I declared, panting above him. Dimitri groaned and laughed, his head falling back to the mat. He looked up at me and nodded.

"You got me this time, Roza. You did well, I wasn't expecting that."

I smirked and stood up, offering him my hand. He took it and pulled himself up, poking my side as he did.

"I handed you your ass," I chirped. Dimitri rolled his eyes but nodded, giving me a fond look. Although that look faded into a glare at something behind me. I looked over my shoulder to find a few Guardians starring. Dimitri's presence behind me was mammoth, his hand sliding over my waist and pulling me closer to him. It was like watching a pissing match. I turned and gave him a smile before pulling my gloves off.