Chapter 24

Lissa was the only one they would allow in to see Dimitri after that, and even then, it took a little bit of compulsion. It killed me, but I slipped into her head and was able to see him that way. He was a little antsy with Lissa, but he was undoubtedly grateful for what she had done. He almost looked up to her, indebted to her, but she quickly assured him that she only did the easy part.

Whenever she uttered my name his lips would quirk up at the side and the pained look in his eyes would lessen, but it was never for long.

"It looks like they may let you out soon," Lissa said slipping one of his dog-eared novels through the bars. Dimitri took it and held it in his hands, looking down at the cover. "I heard, but they'll be putting me under guard. Which seems pointless, but it's easier to do what they want if it means I can get out of here," he said.

Lissa graced him with an encouraging smile. "Maybe I can sway them to lower the number of guards? Or see if they could get Rose to be one? I know that it would make you feel better if she was nearby."

Dimitri looked back to Lissa and gave her a slight smile, more than he has done since being restored. 

"As much as I would love to see Rose, I don't think I could have her as a guard. She would be too concerned about me than guarding me. But I do want to see her... I'm shocked I haven't seen her since," he said, trailing off at the end.

"She must think I'm a monster for what I've done."

It was so quiet that it was barely a whisper, but Lissa was quick to beat down that doubt.

"No! She wants to be here so, so badly, but they won't let anyone down here. I have to use a bit of compulsion every time I come to see you. I know for a fact though that when I'm here, she looks through my eyes. It gives her a little peace. She told me to bring you that too," Lissa explained, pointing to the book. 

"She doesn't think you're a monster, Dimitri. She thinks that you are a victim here too. Which, you are."

Dimitri met her gaze and I swore that it was like he was searching her eyes, looking for me. I sighed in my own body and tried to push some of my emotions into Lissa. I pushed happiness, love and forgiveness into her, and I knew that she could feel it.

Lissa slipped her hand through the bars and took his hand, lacing her fingers with his and squeezing firmly. "She's here. I can't feel her exactly, but she's sending a lot of emotions through. Love, forgiveness, happiness. She misses you," Lissa whispered. Dimitri squeezed her hand back and looked back into her eyes. It was almost like he was looking into mine instead.

"Tell her that I miss her too."

"I will."

The door down the hall opened and a Guardian came through, telling Lissa that she had to leave. Lissa nodded and slipped her hand out of Dimitri's, promising that she would be back as soon as possible, or that she would do what she could to get the timeline moving on having him released. Dimitri thanked her and asked her to relay a message to me when I was pulled out.

The bang on my door was loud and repeated in thick thumps. I got up and opened the door, not thinking about still being in my nightclothes. I grabbed the closest thing to me, one of the sweaters I filched from Dimitri's room, and pulled it on before opening the door.

"Were you ever going to tell us that my brother was restored!?" Sonya shrieked, pushing her way past me. I blinked and looked at the rest of the Belikova's standing before me and moved to the side, letting them in. I was slightly embarrassed about the state of my apartment, but couldn't dwell on it. Olena patted my check as she came in last and I gave her a smile before closing the door.