Chapter 4

An: Thank you for reading my book 😊 I used some dialogue from the book so if it looks familiar it probably is.

We calmly got off the bus and entered the Metropolitan Museum of Fine Arts. Mr. Brunner aka Chiron led the tour. He was guiding us upfront in his wheelchair. We went through big echoey galleries, past marble statues, and glass cases which were full of pottery. I tried to walk with Percy and Grover, but Nancy must've sensed my intentions because she grabbed ahold of my arm and wouldn't let go.

Finally, he stopped us at a thirteen-foot-tall stone column with a big Sphinx on the top. He started to tell us about how it was a grave marker, but I couldn't really pay attention to his explanation because everyone was talking. Well, except for Percy and Grover. Every once and a while Percy would attempt to get them to shut up. Every time he did Mrs. Dodds stopped giving me the evil eye and turned it on him effectively making him go quiet.

When Nancy said a particularly nasty comment, Percy turned around and said exasperatedly, "Will you shut up?"

I'm pretty sure it came out louder than he expected because the entire group laughed minus me of course. I just silently stared at him not wanting to add fuel to the fire. Chiron stopped his probably interesting story that I still couldn't hear.

"Mr. Jackson," he started, "did you have a comment?"

Percy's face turned a beet red and he replied, "No, sir."

Chiron pointed to one of the pictures on the column. "Perhaps you'll tell us what this picture represents?"

Percy studied the carving and I could tell he was relieved as he recognized it. "That's Kronos eating his kids, right?"

"Yes," Chiron said not looking satisfied, "And he did this because..."

"Well..." he started obviously trying to remember. "Kronos was the king god, and—"

"Titan," I corrected him quietly before I could stop myself.

"Right, titan," he corrected himself after hearing me. "And...he didn't trust his kids, who were the gods. So, um, Kronos ate them,
right? But his wife hid baby Zeus, and gave Kronos a rock to eat instead. And later, when Zeus grew up, he tricked his dad, Kronos, into barfing up his brothers and sisters—"

"Eww!" A girl interrupted him.

"—and so there was this big fight between the gods and the Titans," he continued unfazed. "And the gods won."

When he finished, there were some snickers coming from around me. Nancy mumbled to me, "Like we're going to use this in real life. Like it's going to say on job applications, 'Please explain why Kronos ate his kids.'"

"And why, Mr. Jackson," Chiron said, overhearing Nancy, "to paraphrase Miss Bobofit's excellent question, does this matter in real life?"

"Busted," Grover muttered under his breath.

"Shut up," Nancy hide at him, clearly embarrassed at being caught.

I held back a laugh as Percy seemed to ponder over the question. Finally, he shrugged and told him, "I don't know, sir"

Chiron look disappointed and said, "I see. Well, half credit, Mr. Jackson. Zeus—"

Before he could continue, I cut him off reciting from memory, "Zeus did feed Kronos a mixture of mustard and wine, which made him disgorge his other five children, who, of course being immortal gods, had been living and growing up completely i digested in the Titan's stomach. The gods defeated their father, sliced him to pieces with his own scythe, and scattered his remains in Tartarus, the darkest part of the Underworld."

Chiron studied me for a minute before saying, "Correct, Miss L/n. And on that happy note, it's time for lunch. Mrs. Dodds, would you lead us back outside?"

I started to follow Nancy & Co. when Chiron called out to me. "Miss L/n."

I looked back at him confused. He was supposed to talk to Percy during lunch.

"Um...yes?" I hesitantly asked.

Percy noticed Chiron wanted to see me and was about to come over when I gestured for him to keep going. He nodded and followed the class. I turned around and walked to Chiron.

"Who are you and how did you get here?" He questioned suddenly completely serious.

"You know. Mrs. Dodds or whatever you want to call her said the exact same thing."

"What do you mean by 'whatever you want to call her'" he asked extremely confused.

"You mean you don't know?" I said with false innocence, knowing he didn't know.

"No," he said uncertaintly. "Care to tell me?"

"Well, she's not human for one thing." I explain. "She has bat wings and claws and a mouth full of yellow fangs. Also her eyes glow."

He studied me again probably trying to see if what I was saying was the truth. He seemed to believe me, which is a good thing because I was telling the truth.

"We can talk more about this later," he decided. "For now, go eat your lunch."

I nodded and walked to the front of the museum, where the class was gathered. I looked towards the city and saw a huge storm brewing. I saw Nancy trying to steal from a lady's purse so I decided to go hang out with Percy and Grover who were sitting on the edge of a fountain. Hopefully they let me sit with them. I walk over to them.

"Can I sit with you guys?" I asked nervously.

"Sure," Percy smiled.

I smiled back and sat down beside Percy. I hummed happily and opened my lunch box. I  grabbed my sandwich and started eating. While eating, Nancy noticed I was sitting with Percy and Grover. She made an angry face and stormed over. Before I could say anything, she dumped her half eaten lunch on Grover's lap.

"Oops," she grinned at Percy, "Come on Y/n, you shouldn't be hanging out with these losers."

She harshly grabbed my arm, which she seemed to love doing, and yanked me off the fountain. My half-eaten sandwich and the rest of my lunch fell uneaten to the floor. I could see Percy getting really mad and the water behind him starting to swirl so I panicked and did the first thing I could think of. I punched her in the face. I heard a sickening crunch. Nancy staggered back screaming and putting her hands over her nose. I could see a red liquid running down her face.

I think I just broke her nose.