Chapter 12

An: You finally get to meet Sally. Have fun 😊

We ditched Grover, obviously. We knew it was rude, but I needed to follow the book's storyline as close as possible so I know generally what comes next. Percy, on the other hand, ditched Grover cause he kept looking at Percy and mumbling stuff in his direction. Just like the book said, Grover ran to the bathroom after asking us to wait for him. We grabbed our suitcases and ran outside catching the first taxi uptown.

"East One-hundred-and-forth and First," Percy told the driver.

On the way to his house, Percy started telling me all about his mom and his stepdad just so I'd know what to expect. All of which I knew from reading the book. He didn't go as in depth as the book, but he did tell me quite a bit before we arrived. Percy paid the driver with a twenty getting some ones back.

We walked into Percy's little apartment. I could smell something rancid as soon as I walked in the door. I had a feeling I knew exactly who it was and I was right. When we walked into the living room it got significantly worse. Smelly Gabe was there smoking a cigar with his friends playing poker surrounded by chips and beer cans. He looked exactly like Percy described him in the book except for the fact that it was two not three hairs on his head.

"So, you're home," He said not even looking up.

"Where's my mom?" Percy asked with a look of disdain on his face.

"Working. You got any cash?" He asked finally looking up. "And who's that?"

"I don't have any cash," Percy told him. "And this is my friend, Y/n."

"Hello," I greeted in an unenthusiastic tone.

"You took a taxi from the bus station. Probably paid with a twenty. Got six, seven bucks in change. Somebody expects to live under this roof, he ought to carry his own weight. And you, whatever your name was, probably have some change in your pocket somewhere. Am I right, Eddie?"

"Come on, Gabe. The kids just got here," Eddie replied giving me a sympathetic look.

"Am I right?" Gabe repeated.

Eddie scowled into a bowl of pretzels while the other two actually passed gas in harmony. I thought he was kidding when he said that.

"Fine," Percy grumbled grabbing his wad of cash from his pocket. "I hope you lose."

"Your report card came, brain boy. I wouldn't act so snooty," He sneered before looking at me. "And where's your contribution?"

"I don't have any cash." I told him not wanting to give him my money.

He gave me pointed look and getured to the cash on the table. I sighed and put a small bag of pennies on the table with a smirk and a shrug. It's a good thing I came prepared. Percy snorted and covered it up with a cough. We ran to Percy's room and I slammed the door for fun. His room smelled almost as bad as Gabe.

"Sorry about Gabe," he said putting his suitcase on the bed.

"You mean Smelly Gabe? He smells awful," I laughed.

"I know right," Percy laughed with me.

I looked around the almost empty room. The only thing in there was an old bed and a desk with a chair. I looked back at Percy who was trembling. I reached over to snap him out of it, but his mom beat me to it.

"Percy?" She asked throught the door before opening it.

Percy relaxed as soon as Sally opened the door. Sally's eyes were sparkling as she looked at Percy. She was looking at him with so much love I was jealous. She had long brown hair with small gray streaks here and there. There really wasn't much gray in her hair though.