20

CHAPTER 20

I was woken up by ringing of the doorbell. Rubbing my eyes, I got up to look through the peephole to find my Dad standing on the other side. I opened the door.

"Hey dad."

"Hey Astrid, you look exhausted." He commented, in a concerned voice.

"Yeah." I gave a chuckle before continuing, "Went out with friends, so a little tired."

"I thought you have a test the day after tomorrow." He asked, surprising me. I never really understood how he remembered all this despite spending only hurried breakfast and few quick dinners with me each week, like mom. I smiled again, forgetting all about what happened with Drake downstairs.

"I do. I just have to revise the main chapters once again from all the flashcards Drake had me make and solve some questions."

"That's the boy that has been tutoring you? How is he?" By now, dad had put away his office bag and made himself comfortable on the sofa and I sat beside him, head on his shoulder.

"He is okay, I guess." I answered curtly, not wanting to talk about him. If he had asked this question a few hours ago, I would probably have said so much more about the boy who tutored me.

"Where's mom?"

"She'll back tomorrow evening." With that, we just stayed on the sofa for a few minutes before eating.

...

Two days later, I came out of the exam hall with Dylan. I had avoided meeting Drake since that night. I checked my phone to see messages from Ava and Tay, who didn't have any exam that day.

"That went better than I thought." I said, walking towards my locker,

"Speak for yourself. It was too lengthy- I think I left a question or two in between."

"It was lengthy but it wasn't difficult." Dylan and I were officially back to normal, and I couldn't be happier. I noticed his eyes shift over my shoulder before I heard a certain someone.

"Can we talk?"

"I'll see you later." The guy in front of me said, before heading towards his locker.

"How did the test go?" Drake asked, walking towards the exit gate.

"It was good, thanks to you and those flashcards. Now you probably wouldn't have to teach someone who doesn't know what they're doing."

"I didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry, I got a little overprotective the other day." He said, meeting my eyes when I looked up.

"A little?" I looked at him with an 'Are you kidding me?' expression, "The last thing I expected you to do was yell at me or act out your anger."

The parking lot was buzzing as usual, but we headed towards the footpath. A few heads turned at the volume of my voice but turned when I glared at them.

"That wasn't my intention. Especially after you admitted liking me."

"Did not admit. You assumed." I cut him off, even though it was true.

"You don't?" his eyebrows furrowed and I grew more agitated.

"I do, doesn't matter."

Getting the hint, he continued what he was previously speaking, "My point is that music has always been something I'm protective of. It has not been an easy path to follow. My parents will probably transfer again or send me somewhere where I wouldn't be able to continue. It has happened once, it can happen again. I don't want that."