24

CHAPTER 24

"Hey, A! Wanna call it a night?" Cole asked, flipping his skateboard from under his feet and straight into his hands.

"Yeah, I have to head back too." Alex said, checking his phone. For the last two hours, Cole and I had been practicing some old tricks on skateboard while Taylor and Drake watched. As for Alex and Dylan, they left for about half an hour to grab some coffee in between.

"Yeah, let's go." I agreed. Cole offered to drive Tay, Drake and I back while Dylan did the same for Alex. Politely declining my brother-like friend's offer, Drake took my hand as we walked out of the rink. Suddenly, I felt the warmth of his hand slip out of mine as we found my 'apparent' boyfriend there along with his actual one.

What kind of situation had I landed myself in?

"Sorry, I didn't mean to hold her hand-," Drake started but got interrupted.

"You don't have to apologize; it's all good. A, can you call me once you get back?"

With that, the couple drove away and we started walking back in silence. With each step, the level of awkwardness and unspoken words increased.

There were misunderstandings that needed to be cleared and some explanations that had to be made.

"We need to talk." The two of us said at the same time, resulting in some chuckles that left our lips.

"Yeah, we do. That is exactly why I am taking you out tomorrow." he said, surprising me. I looked up to meet his eyes. Eyes widening, he added quickly-, "No no no, not as a date. I know you're dating Dylan and I don't want to come in the middle. Just consider this outing as an apology from me."

At that moment, I wished so bad that Dylan didn't have done what he did to save himself. But I did not accuse him; the situation was to be blamed.

I would've probably ran down the street cheering in delight if that had been an actual date; however, that time I was anything but extremely delighted. I know I didn't want anything with Drake despite my feelings, but having that particular misunderstanding was even worse.

"How are you?" I asked after a few seconds of silence.

"Truth or lie?" he asked, pulling a half smile- you know when only one side the lips is raised but it isn't exactly a smirk- warmth swarming in his eyes.

We had already reached the building lobby when we faced each other completely after two weeks or something. There was nothing different about him except a little dullness beneath his eyes and lips that were pressed in a single line, adding the emphasis to his usual look of seriousness.

We were interrupted by the ringing of my phone. The name on the screen was enough to make the boy I really liked to think that it was his cue to leave.

"Wear something semi-formal or formal." He said, before heading in and leaving me alone.

"Dylan, couldn't you wait for my call or what?" I snapped, irritated.

"Sorry, I felt really bad and wanted to apologize."

"About what?" I asked, confused but still holding a scowl.

"You and Drake. I had no idea. I forgot to ask you earlier too."

"It's fine. Just- I was talking to him right now and your call interrupted us again. I mean, him thinking we are dating is more than enough to make him keep his distance from me."

"Wait what? He likes you back? Shit shit shit. What the hell did I do?"

"No! He doesn't like me back! He straight up friend-zoned me without letting me finish!"