01

CHAPTER 1

I was walking back home with my friend Taylor, a tensed frown stuck on my face.

"What is that look for?" Taylor asked, finally feeling done with my unusual lack of words.

"Mr. Parker." I grumbled as we walked towards the building I lived in. She stayed two blocks from there so we went to school together. "He announced a test that is supposed to take place tomorrow. Like why would he do that? Announce a test a day before it actually happens! That too covers whatever has been taught in the past month! What am I going to do?" I freaked out.

My best friend laughed as I ran my fingers through my hair, trying not to pull them.

"Does he just assume that everyone is paying attention?!"

"You'll do just fine, Astrid. Chill." She said, trying to calm me down with a cool look on her face. It wasn't that I was bad at studying, it was just that particular subject that beat me. I would consider myself an average student with almost easy A's, but you can't be good at everything, right? My exception was this subject called physics.

"Anyway, are you still up for ice cream tomorrow?" She asked, to which I mumbled a 'yup' as we parted ways. 

...

Later that night, I rested my head on the study table after studying for two hours straight. At this rate, physics is going to be the death of me, I thought. My eyes travelled to the photo of a young pair of siblings, more than a decade old.

Not the time to feel all empty, A- I told myself as I got up from my table.

I walked towards the window to see one of the streetlights flickering. I felt like I could use some fresh air, so I  got out of the silent apartment.

I started climbing to get to the rooftop. Usually, I wasn't the one for silent and starry nights, but sometimes things really got to me. I thought back to the last time I came here which was before my senior year started.

Feeling a calming gust of wind against my face, I moved towards my spot in the corner of the terrace. Putting my legs between the railings, I looked down to the streets to see a bunch of speeding cars and a handful of people roaming there past midnight. The chaotic part of the almost silent night.

I sat there for a few minutes before hearing movement behind me. Turning around, I saw a mob of black hair disappear through the same door I entered a few minutes ago.

Was someone already here?

I shrugged it off and watched two girls walking down the street with heels in their hands, swaying.

...

"So? How did it go?" Taylor asked the next day as we sat together during the break with Dylan and Ava.

"Horribly." Dylan said, followed by a familiar enthusiastic voice behind me.

"Well hello, my lovely people!" 

"Nate!" I exclaimed, turning around. "The one and only." He smirked as he opened his arms knowing what was to come. I got up and threw my arms around him dramatically.

"Aah, dramatic as ever, I see." He said as he pulled back. I met Dylan through Taylor, as he was her subject partner at the start of last year. With Dylan, came Nathan- or Nate- who became another part of our drama company. Kidding.

"How are you back early anyway? And how is your grandma?" Dylan asked to which he replied, "She's good and got discharged early, so here I am."

"Why didn't I see you if you gave the test?" We were supposed to be in the same room if he was present for it.